dlomheim

Well Known Member
The RV-3 I'm restoring didn't come with a seat back like I built in my "9" and that is pretty much standard in at least the 6's and onward. Our preview plans actually shows how the spacing between each 45 degree bend on the back that gives it it's strength. I'm pretty sure the backs on my "9" seats came with the 45 degree bends already performed, so my first question is:

Does the "3" seat back come with the 45 degree angles pre-bent? If not I probably will be inclinded to order in a "9" seat back that is already pre-bent (or maybe an "8" is pre-formed as well?).

Additionally, as I looked at the preview plans, they really weren't very clear on drawing #25 how the top is secured, etc. That detail maybe on another page and I'll look some more later, but how are you all securing the top of your seats?

The plans also call out having a two stainless steel straps going under the fuel tank. Ours didn't come that way, so I was wondering if that is something you all have added or ignored?

Thanks for any information...

Doug Lomheim
RV-3 restoration
OK City

Hi Doug,

The -3 seat back that came with the -3B kit has indeed got all of the 45 degree bends in it. The top of the seat is a semicircular fiberglass piece that closes out the baggage area. The top of the seat isn't really secured to anything - it tips forward to access baggage (when no one is in the seat, of course), and is held back by the pilot's body and shoulder harness.

Can't answer on the fuse tank - we have wing tanks.

Paul

Seat Back

Hi Doug,

The -3 seat back that came with the -3B kit has indeed got all of the 45 degree bends in it. The top of the seat is a semicircular fiberglass piece that closes out the baggage area. The top of the seat isn't really secured to anything - it tips forward to access baggage (when no one is in the seat, of course), and is held back by the pilot's body and shoulder harness.

Can't answer on the fuse tank - we have wing tanks.

Paul

Great info...thanks Paul!