Robert M

Well Known Member
Hello guys and gals!

This is nothing more than a thread to try and dispel the myths behind the horrific mess and disgusting smells related to sealing the fuel tanks. I have just finished riveting in the last rib of my left fuel tank. I actually put off this task for three months because of all the dread I felt from all of the bad reports from other builders. :( Finally I got mad enough at myself for not continuing with the project and I forced myself to get started. Cripes! :confused: What was I worried about? Everything has gone as smooth as silk. The smell - absolutely wonderful. So now you think I'm crazy? :D Well then you have not smelled Opossum poo :eek: - that stuff is the absolute worst! (My wife rehabs orphaned and/or injured wildlife and that includes opossums :cool: ). Now don't get me wrong, building a fuel tank is no cake walk but it's no where near as bad as I had perceived it to be. For those of you that are getting close to building wings, I'm tellin' ya, it ain't as bad as some have made it out to be. Yeah the sealant smells and yes it gets places you wouldn't expect but wear "throw away" clothes and keep a fan blowing, you'll be fine!

Really just my $.02

Agreed

I think I have to agree with this. Using a variation of Rick Galati's method mentioned here we finished one of ours a couple weeks ago (balloon stayed inflated for a week :D ). I think with a little extra time, some patience, and attention to detail, the tanks really aren't that bad!

Although my verdict is still out on the Fay Sealing method, I also agree that the old fashioned way is not that bad. This is a myth that scares allot of people to the point of going mad.

Just take your time, use proper gear, change gloves very, very often and be patient. It really is not that bad.