bobnoffs

Well Known Member
i am installing an inspection plate on the top flat surface of a fuel tank. this is a plate and doubler from a rv12 kit. 12 #8 nutplates attach the plate to the doubler and tank wall.
i am looking for suggestions of a way to seal this plate without a proseal treatment. i wanted to remove this plate at least annually and probably a few times in first 100 hrs. gaskets, form a gasket, proseal with a nonstick surface? has anyone had success doing this? plate is above fuel level but sloshing is constant.

Here you go:
https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/permatex-permashield-fuel-resistant-gasket-dressing-flange-sealant/

Should be available at the nearest auto parts store; I bought mine at AutoZone.

Your mileage may vary, etc, but I've had it on the inspection cover on one of my -4 tanks for a couple of years. Been on & off several times. I keep having recurring leaks in the proseal, but this stuff never leaks. Just clean the surfaces and follow directions. Except for the screws; on those just put a match head sized drop on each hole before inserting the screw.

I just had to pull the tank again yesterday. I removed the screws, grabbed the A/N fuel fitting and pulled the cover off with minimal force. It never hardens. Bright blue color, and kinda has the consistency of that stuff we (meaning those of us over 60) bought when we were kids that came with a straw to blow big, sticky bubbles. I love the stuff. (The sealant, that is....)

Charlie