flickroll

Well Known Member
I have a few fiberglass parts that I have toiled over and are now ready for finishing. Right now they are nicely contoured, and I used epoxy/micro for the final shaping. What's the next step? Can I shoot it as is with K36? Or will I need to seal it first with something else? Like an epoxy primer? Or squeegee on a THIN layer of epoxy? Or any of the above? All of the pieces have areas of un-microed glass showing. In other words, either polyester resin or export resin is showing. Other parts of the piece have the epoxy/micro. Thanks

You can seal it with a thin coat of epoxy. I thin the epoxy with acetone so that it is fairly viscous, then brush it on. Doing so will fill the half-open microballons. The idea is to build a very thin epoxy "shell" upon which to lay the paint.

Squeege three coats of West, allowing each to tack firm between coats. Do not thin it. Block sand with 180. Do not break through the epoxy skin.

I just did two cowl sections, two exit ramps, an inlet scoop, a spinner, two spinner trim parts, an oil door and a plenum cover, all with just two coats of West. Results were about what I expected. Parts that didn't need much blocking (like the spinner) showed zero pinholes when shot with a primer check; two epoxy coats was plenty. The upper cowl half got a lot of custom glass work, so blocking only two coats cut through in a few places at high spots. Result was a few pinholes at those highs. Tells you real quick if your profiling was any good. Three or four epoxy coats would have been better.

Do a search...old subject