The Wizzard

Well Known Member
Does anybody have any tips on sealing the skirt to the canopy on the outside of the plexiglass? Im trying to keep the water out and clean the edge of the skirt up where it meets the canopy on the outside. I thought about running a bead of proseal or Skiaflex 295. Are they compatable with the plexi? Do I need to prime the plexiglass with the special primer that Sika makes?

Thanks,

Dave Cicciari

Since I used SikaFlex to bond the canopy in place, I also used it to seal the skirts. I had the primer, so I used it. I believe some people have used clear silicone or proseal.

I used proseal because that is what I have handy. I too Sika'd my canopy but didn't have enough left over.

easy answer

Home Depot & others carry 50 year paintable caulk. Put a big ol' bead on the skirt before FINAL assembly & put it in place. A length of elec tape about 1/16" above the skirt like will help with the final look, & keep the goo off the plexi where it is not wanted. Pull the ooze off after it hardens, and dress the edge a bit.

I use this stuff - it's easy to buy and easy to use, it's paintable, and it's gonna outlast me in terms of years. I'd stay away from RTV or straight silicone - bad juju for paint. Some other caulks contain chemicals that will craze the plexi - more bad juju.

Proseal should be used in erosion areas (think windshield).

As for the edge of the skirt (composite?), you gonna have to get that right with hand work; there isn't a good shortcut. Sorry.

Carry on!
Mark

Home Depot & others carry 50 year paintable caulk. Put a big ol' bead on the skirt before FINAL assembly & put it in place. A length of elec tape about 1/16" above the skirt like will help with the final look, & keep the goo off the plexi where it is not wanted. Pull the ooze off after it hardens, and dress the edge a bit.

I use this stuff - it's easy to buy and easy to use, it's paintable, and it's gonna outlast me in terms of years. I'd stay away from RTV or straight silicone - bad juju for paint. Some other caulks contain chemicals that will craze the plexi - more bad juju.

Proseal should be used in erosion areas (think windshield).

As for the edge of the skirt (composite?), you gonna have to get that right with hand work; there isn't a good shortcut. Sorry.

Carry on!
Mark

Ditto what Mark said. I used black silicon with no issues and looks pretty good.