PaulR

Well Known Member
I'm working on the last 10% and yesterday was sealing the baffles to the engine with an appropriate sealer. While looking over the whole picture, there are places that are very apparent that need to be sealed, but I came accross a place that I hadn't ever read or seen talked about before and wonder if it's just my installation or if most have this big of "gap".

I reached around the baffle mounted oil cooler with found a place just under the upper engine mounting bolt and just to the left of the left mag that has a pretty large "gap" where the baffle forms around the cylinder on # 4 and the case. On my particular installation,O-320, at the top where the curved part begins it's nearly large enough to put my fore finger. I intend to seal this up but while looking at it and where it's at, I wonder if this could be the cause of higher oil temps that some are reporting. In my installation at least, it will be a very big leak of higher pressure air.

My ten had the same issue with the 540 engine.

It is truly amazing how many little places there are that you need to goop up.

Try using a light on top of the engine, and laying down under the plane in a dark hangar------you will spot a few surprises.

Not an RV - but similar.

That little area can be taken care of with the creative application of a little baffle material... It's always an awkard spot to seal.

B27.jpg