prkaye

Well Known Member
I ordered some small containers of sealant from Vans. The packages are labelled "AC-240 B-1/2 25 gm touch-up paint kit".
Is this the right stuff?

The touch-up paint I bought a while back was for the powder coated parts. It was in a little bottle with a brush in the cap. Not sure what the sealant should look like, but there should be a black part and a white part.

Right part number

prkaye said:
I ordered some small containers of sealant from Vans. The packages are labelled "AC-240 B-1/2 25 gm touch-up paint kit".
Is this the right stuff?

The part number is correct...

http://www.actechaero.com/pdf/nsn1.pdf

However the minimum thy sell is 2.5 oz ... 25 gm is under 1 oz.
Has Van re-packaged and incorrectly marked??

It should be a 2 part mix....

gil in Tucson

Looking at the Van's web store:

Proseal

Thats the stuff. My question is, why order the tiny kits? That small amount will not go far and, as suggested, would not be much more use than as a touch-up.

Spring for the cans of the stuff. You will use it.

Have fun,

Scott

The reason I went with the small amouunts is that I Bought pre-built tanks. I need small amounts for putting int he fuel senders and fuel pickup lines. Also for my trailing edges. Thought about getting hte big container, but not sure if I'll get to all my trailing edges within 3 mnoths (the lifespan of the stuff).

Phil,
I'd suggest going ahead and buying the big cans and storing them in the freezer or refrigerator. If the date expires, it will still work for trailing edges, naca vent and other places. If you've got quick build wings a quart size will be more than enough and keeping it cold extends it's usefullness.
I, like you. bought a couple of the little jars, and found that I used them up rather quickly and for the cost, the larger size is more economical.

Just a heads up. I'm sure most know but, B 1/2 = 1/2 hr working time. The QT is B2 and gives a 2 HR working time which is better long term. If you want to be inventive it can be used for a lot of things and is paintable. I've even used it for antenna doublers. Kept in the frig it can be good for odd jobs for ? 2-3 years? Larry