carrollcw

Well Known Member
I finished one of the elevators for my RV7. While building the other side, I realized that I failed to use the sealant as recommended on the stiffeners before I riveted it all together.

So, how important is it? Is it worth buying all the stuff for another elevator and rebuilding?

Also, I was unclear as to exactly where it goes. I am thinking it is not an error that req's a full rebuild, but I guess I should include it in the other side!

Sealant

Build on. Don't worry about it. You can include it in the one you're building now if you like.

It was used to help stop cracks in the skin at the last rivet at the aft end of the stiffeners. I think it was just a band aid for the earlier RV's that had the thinner .016 skin vs. the newer .020 thickness skin anyway.

Oh, so the newer kits skin is actually .020? I didn't know that. I thought they were .016! So if I were to use it, am I supposed to just put a big dab over the last rivet?

Connect the two stiffeners

I put a big (realitavly) glob so it sort of connected the two stiffeners together when you close up the elevator. That was how I interpreted the directions. Good luck

On my buddy's -8, we made the exact same "mistake", but managed, with a lot of effort, to cobble up a hose contraption that we slid in and pumped in the goo. It was messy (when the tube of sealant we were using blew apart :) ), but we eventually got it in there. Necessary? Heck, who knows? But we were determined.... :)

So if I were to use it, am I supposed to just put a big dab over the last rivet?

I think of it as a blob about the size of my thumbnail - the idea is to prevent the ends of the stiffeners from vibrating on each other and the opposite skin.

The worst thing that happens without it is that you develop a crack, and have to stop drill it - then eventually build a new elevator. That could take years do develop, or it might never happen. So if you're going to build another one, why not wait?

The funny thing about tail kits is that we all make mistakes and tell ourselves "well, I'll build another rudder (or elevator, or VS...) before I take the airplane to paint." Then we fly the airplane, it all works, and we just forget about it.... ;)

Build on. Don't worry about it. You can include it in the one you're building now if you like.

It was used to help stop cracks in the skin at the last rivet at the aft end of the stiffeners. I think it was just a band aid for the earlier RV's that had the thinner .016 skin vs. the newer .020 thickness skin anyway.

Say What!!!!! I just got my Emp kit last month & mine has .016 skins on the rudder & elevator?!?!?!?!?!

Sealant

Say What!!!!! I just got my Emp kit last month & mine has .016 skins on the rudder & elevator?!?!?!?!?!

I could be wrong. It's been 8 or 9 years since I did mine, but I seem to remember that the ink stamping on the sheets said "2024 T-3 .020":eek:

You know what they say----the memory is the second thing to go!:rolleyes:

Check again. I received my kit this past December, and it has 0.020 elevator skins. Check the ink stamp near the inboard edge:
DSCN3200.JPG

The rudder skins ARE 0.016. Check the ink stamp just above the bottom stiffener:
DSCN3096.JPG

I think there are guys who purposely don't Proseal/RTV. Yes, historically it was as a result of the .016 skins cracking, and I was also under the impression that the .020 skin thickness helped solve the problem.

Personally, I did Proseal at the stiffener ends to dampen out any skin motions in that area, but have no reason to believe that it's a necessity or required.

So, build on as was replied earlier. Probably a non-issue, and heck.....think of how much easier any water will drain out of the ends of your elevator.

Last edited: