cjensen

Well Known Member
I'm just about ready to install my resistive senders, and I wondered if it's necessary to put sealant around it since there is a rubber gasket between the plate and rib/baffle.

Also, around the tanks access plate with the cork gasket?

Chad,

You'll get numerous opinions on this. I originally did my senders with gaskets and no sealant. Ended up with leaks through the screw holes. When I went to re-do them, I was not happy at how the gaskets squished out, so I followed several folks's advice, and eliminated the gasket completely - just pro-sealed the sender in, and gooped the screws as well. Will make them **** to take out, but they don't leak!

Paul

I'm at the same point as Chad as well. Regarding the cork gasket part, a local RV-8 guy said he just pro-sealed AROUND the outside of the cover. Didn't put any between the cork and plate. This makes it easier to remove the plate in the future by just slicing around the proseal. Like I said, haven't done mine yet. But I want to so I can get these wings on for good!!!

If you use the rubberized cork gasket for the senders, put a little Permatex Aviation Form-a-Gasket on them. I dipped the screw threads in sealant, namely Fuel Lube. Keeps fuel from wicking out around the screws. This is for the access covers. For the fuel senders, just proseal them in. The black rubber gaskets have a history of developing leaks. Mine has been leak free for 2+ years and 300+ hours.

Mark them...

Mark your floats so that they can be oriented correctly if you ever need to remove them since the five holes are NOT evenly spaced. We used the rubber gasket initially but after three months had to remove them and just proseal them in and dip the screw threads as well. No leaks. We did use the cork with proseal on both sides........no leaks, ;)

I support that in concept. I plan on using a syringe type thingy to put a bead around the outside to back up the cork gasket. You effectively have two barriers then.