Jim P

Well Known Member
I'm down to cutting my seals for baffles. What's the best way to punch holes in this seal material. A drill bit just makes a mess. Is there anyway to get a clean hole? I'm thinking a .125 leather punch might do the trick.

Jim

I don't know what others have used, but at my last job I worked with silicone sheet some and found dermal punches to work great. You can get them in all sorts of sizes.

When I get to that point I intend to buy a punch I have seen at Harbor Freight. It has several hole size selections and, as always, the price is right.
Bob
RV-7A

Used a drill....

I guess I didn't know any better when I did mine, and just used a drill bit in my Dremel - made plenty clean holes, and saved (prevented?) me from buying another tool...

Paul

New Tools

Well, I suppose any excuse for a new tool. Found a leather punch with multiple hole cutters for $11 at the local craft store. Works great!

Punch it

I guess I didn't know any better when I did mine, and just used a drill bit in my Dremel - made plenty clean holes, and saved (prevented?) me from buying another tool...

Paul

Paul... might be OK with a Dremel, but I had lots of trouble with a slower cordless drill or my drill press.

The material wanted to wrap itself up around the drill bit...:(

The HF leather punch is a cheap and easy solution....:)

gil A

Just recently did this. Harbor Freight ... stuff store. Set of 4 wood punches 5 bucks, use the smallest one, hit once over a 2x4 with a 1 lb hammer. Done

Larry

On all the planes that I have built I just use a 1/8 inch or number 30 drill bit in my high speed air drill. Never have had a problem. I mark the AL where the holes are to go and drill thru the A/L and then thru the seal, cleoe it and move on to the next hole.

Same here...

I did the same thing (drilled both at once) No problems here either.

Regards Alf Olav Frog / Norway
RV-7 finishing/wiring

$6

Plan ahead (in MS Project....:)...) and spend the $6....:)

91076.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91076

Then you have another tool in your collection for future use, and hey, even your spouse might borrow this one....:D

gil A