rv6ejguy

Well Known Member
I've had a couple emails this week asking how adjustable the timing curves are with the CPI.

Rpm timing is user programmable with the integral keypad in 1 degree increments. MAP retard or advance is also adjustable in 1 degree increments about every 1.2 inches of manifold pressure change. Total timing delivered is a composite of the RPM timing value plus or minus the MAP advance/ retard values plus the ignition advance switch setting which is also user programmable for LOP operation or octane selection. The settings can be changed with the engine running in flight. There is no miss or interruption of engine power when making timing changes.

The CPI gives you complete control of your timing curve which can be especially useful for those with higher CR pistons or forced induction engines.

You can see a quick tutorial on the CPI here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBEOQdZBOS8 The RPM and MAP functions are shown starting at about 3:27 in the video for those interested.

Ive been meaning to write a little pri-rep on mine since I have about 30 hours on it now.

Things I like are the size of the control unit, it's little bigger than a pack of cigarettes. The quality of the CNC parts is top shelf. Easy to program with all the flexibilty you could ask for. The panel selectable programmable advance toggle is a nice feature. This is an inductive system so it should have an abundance of spark duration and zap. The system is priced well below the competition, and it has performed perfectly since first start.

Things I didn't like were the instructions. A minor gripe as all the info is there but it's spread across 2 sets of instructions, one for automotive and an aviation supplement. So there's a little bit of shuffling among a lot of not needed information to figure out what applies and what doesn't. Also there isn't a comprehensive aviation electrical schematic included. A good feature is the tach signal is available even when doing a "mag check" IF you wire it so you are switching the coils on and off and not the controller. I should have realized that but overlooked it, so now I have to go in and rewire it opposite to what I have. Then I can keep my tach alive while testing the other ignition which is a Slick.

I did not put the controller in the panel, it might be handy on occasion to have there but it doesn't look "aviation" and I wasn't about to cut up my panel.

Suggested improvements would be to include the hard to find 1/4" Adel clamps to fit the Hall effect wires to the Lycoming case bolts, and perhaps an option for a belt guard at the sensor. Also, a little timing mark pointer bracket that would bolt to the engine somewhere would be nice for indexing the Hall effect sensor and checking timing with a timing light. As is folks have to improvise, I used a piece of safety wire taped to the engine case to do this, it works fine but cleaner solution would be nice.

I made this move after the other 2 systems I have tried proved unreliable, I think this is going to be a big improvement on that.
I have no interest in SDS, just a happy customer.

Tim Andres

The roots of the design are from the snowmobile world actually, so the packaging and graphics are not ideal for aviation. This was done to reduce production costs, time to market and with less risk exposure, both technically and financially. We are contemplating some possible changes for next year.

We do find with 2 large glass panels, many people have precious little space left to mount anything which would be functionally large enough to display and program. We find at least 50% are blind mounting the units.

We're looking at an integrated dual unit with a smaller panel footprint which could be either panel or blind mounted.

We could start including the Adel clamps with the kits. Good suggestion.

We're working on some improved documentation and diagrams now but I think we should re-write the main manual exclusively for aviation and remove the automotive references for clarity. That will take a while with our other current tasks to deal with but should makes things easier to understand.

As far as the belt guard goes, we see the front baffling quite different between engines and airframes so there does not appear to be a "one design fits all" solution to this however, we're working on something that can be trimmed by the customer as this question has come up a few times.

Pointer on the case. I've looked at that also and there are case variations making one solution difficult but I will check as many Lycomings as I can put hands on and see if a bendable .060 design could be made to work on the majority of engines.

I really appreciate your feedback and suggestions Tim.

...You can see a quick tutorial on the CPI here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBEOQdZBOS8 The RPM and MAP functions are shown starting at about 3:27 in the video for those interested.

Really informative video Ross. My Slicks are coming due for their 500 hour rebuild on my RV-8 with IO-360. I'm very interested in electronic ignition. The SDS CPI is definitely high on my list.

...We are contemplating some possible changes for next year.

We do find with 2 large glass panels, many people have precious little space left to mount anything which would be functionally large enough to display and program. We find at least 50% are blind mounting the units.

We're looking at an integrated dual unit with a smaller panel footprint which could be either panel or blind mounted.

As far as the belt guard goes, we see the front baffling quite different between engines and airframes so there does not appear to be a "one design fits all" solution to this however, we're working on something that can be trimmed by the customer as this question has come up a few times.

I really appreciate your feedback and suggestions Tim.

I'm very encouraged to read that you are considering an "integrated dual unit with a smaller foot print".

Based on the dimensions you provided on the current CPI controller I made a 3 dimensional mock up out of card board and have been trying to determine a suitable location to place it within my cockpit.

Your timing of this revelation is appreciated. I'm going to wait and see what you come up with.

Ive been meaning to write a little pri-rep on mine since I have about 30 hours on it now.

I made this move after the other 2 systems I have tried proved unreliable, I think this is going to be a big improvement on that.
I have no interest in SDS, just a happy customer.

Tim Andres

Tim,

Thanks for sharing your observations.

Timing on the duel unit ?

Ross,
You presently shipping me a dual unit unit with two CPI panels. I am in no hurry. Whats the time line on a duel? I just ordered my unit to assure I had a grip on the task ahead, but can wait for the combined unt.

Ross,
You presently shipping me a dual unit unit with two CPI panels. I am in no hurry. Whats the time line on a duel? I just ordered my unit to assure I had a grip on the task ahead, but can wait for the combined unt.

There is no timeline on the redesign but I don't expect it to be available until near the end of the year, perhaps 2018 even. It all depends how busy we are with production and existing R&D projects. For those with no panel space, there would be no advantage over blind mounting the current models. I'd expect the cost to increase as well since it will involve all new hardware, custom CNC'd enclosure and a new keypad design. None of that comes cheap in these small quantities.