RVG8tor

Well Known Member
Of course I discover something after close of business. I am installing the 3/4" extension to the vacuum pad, the kit comes with a longer spine drive coupler (green bit) for the SD20. The spline drive shaft fits on the the coupler via 8 studs built into the spline drive. My dilemma is that 4 of the studs have a little elongation on them, which I suspect holds the drive to the coupler so it can't fall out.

I know some of you have installed this kit, what is the trick to getting the drive off the coupler? The green part seems to stretch but I don't want to destroy the drive. Unlike the other products from B&C this does not come with very good instructions (the extension kit).

Thanks for any help, I am hoping to get something done on this over the weekend.

Cheers.

Here are the two couplers, I need to move the drive from one to the other

zmy0c6.jpg

This shows the elongation, essentially that stud has a little tab built into it so it overhangs after inserting it.

16iy0ew.jpg

It looks like there are 4 studs attached to each part, and if you separate the parts, you will then be able to push the studs out of the short green part, and move them to the long green part.

One piece

It looks like there are 4 studs attached to each part, and if you separate the parts, you will then be able to push the studs out of the short green part, and move them to the long green part.

Mike

The drive spline (all the black parts) is one piece. I can slide it down on the studs more and can see the little elongation (tab) but no clue how this was installed let alone get it removed.

I like puzzle keeps the mind healthy but I don't like wasted time I do that on my own well enough. Hopefully someone who has installed this kit will chime in.

16iy0ew.jpg

Sure does look like the drive pin with the peened over head is fitting into a "U" notch, are all four of the peened heads matched to notched areas in the splined piece?

I suspect the green piece will slide off the fixed drive pins, and will have 4 pins come along for the ride.

The large center shaft will probably stay with the splined part, and the green part slide off it.

The green piece is a rubber or plastic part correct?? it is a shock absorber if I am interpreting the photos correctly.

Last edited:
it is one piece

I don't have a picture but even though the stud with the tabs have a cutout at the base, if you look on the underside it is one molded part.

I am wondering if one could just pry it apart since the green part is stretchy.

Thats normal for Airborne type shear couplings. Your green spool will stretch over the nub. Use a flat blade under it & twist to pry it up...carefully. It helps to have the coupling warm. You could use hot tap water, nothing hotter.

Hot Water

Thats normal for Airborne type shear couplings. Your green spool will stretch over the nub. Use a flat blade under it & twist to pry it up...carefully. It helps to have the coupling warm. You could use hot tap water, nothing hotter.

Thanks for the tip, hot water for about 2 minutes and it slipped right off.

Cheers