Gash

Well Known Member
I need to buy a B&C SD-20 standby alternator and am looking for an inexpensive vendor. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I need to buy a B&C SD-20 standby alternator and am looking for an inexpensive vendor. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I don't believe one exists. Might as well buy direct from B&C.

Plane Power now has a competitive product, but I haven't paid attention since I already purchased a SD-20.

Thanks for the tip about the Plane Power standby alternator, Bob. That one wasn't even on my radar until you mentioned it. I think theirs will be better than the SD-20 due to more amps and no need for an external regulator. Now I'm just wondering if anybody else has one running on their RV-8. I'm wondering how it will fit on an IO-375 with a 90 degree oil filter adapter.

Thanks for the tip about the Plane Power standby alternator, Bob. That one wasn't even on my radar until you mentioned it. I think theirs will be better than the SD-20 due to more amps and no need for an external regulator. Now I'm just wondering if anybody else has one running on their RV-8. I'm wondering how it will fit on an IO-375 with a 90 degree oil filter adapter.

I know that the SD-20 and 90 degree oil filter adapters appears to be a "black art" due to all the variations. I know that B&C attempts to keep a database of which shims you may need depending on aircraft, engine model, and other accessories. Even then they don't always get the combination right on the first attempt.

I would ask which ever vendor you choose to recommend the approprate shims.

bob