prkaye

Well Known Member
I need to pick up a couple of screws for attaching a molex connector to a radio tray. The installation manual gives the screw type as:
Screws Bind UNC (No. 4 ? 12.7)
I understand that UNC refers to the thread type, an No. 4 refers to the major diameter, but what is the 12.7? Is that the length in mm? And what does "Bind" refer to?
A the hardware store, should I just look for 4-48 screws of an approximely suitable length? These are just to hold the molex connector in place at the back of the instrument tray.

UNC is a standard coarse thread, therefore 4-40. I have no idea what bind is and I am baffled by 12.7. Can't think of anyone that would spec SAE thread and Metric length and I've never seen a metric length end in .7.

It's not thread pitch and I don't know how it could be length, as it is a strange looking number for a screw length.

Larry

It's for my ICOM A210. It's the two little screws that hold the molex connector in place at the back of the mounting tray. When I took out my radio the other day I noticed these screws are missing. This made it tricky getting the radio back in place as the molex connector wasn't locked in place. In the ICOM A210 installation guide, those screws are labelled as part number (4), and described as "Screws Bind UNC (No. 4 × 12.7) ".
http://www.aeroshop.eu/media/upload/dokumentacija/ICOM/IC-A210_Installation_guide.pdf

Last edited:
It's for my ICOM A210. It's the two little screws that hold the molex connector in place at the back of the mounting tray. When I took out my radio the other day I noticed these screws are missing. This made it tricky getting the radio back in place as the molex connector wasn't locked in place. In the ICOM A210 installation guide, those screws are labelled as part number (4), and described as "Screws Bind UNC (No. 4 × 12.7) ".
http://www.aeroshop.eu/media/upload/dokumentacija/ICOM/IC-A210_Installation_guide.pdf

There's your problem.. it's an EU Icom document with a bad mix of US screw threads and metric measurements....:)

12.7 is half of 25.4 - it is simply a metric reference to a 1/2 inch long screw. 1 inch = 25.4 mm.

Personally I think Icom should have stuck to the complete US reference -

4-40 x 1/2 screw.

The "Bind" bit is no big deal -

binding head - A type of head that is similar to the pan head but much thicker with a deeper slot.

Last edited: