ron sterba

Well Known Member
I decided to go with all torx head screws or Hex anywhere under the panel. Seems with the nutplates those #2 phillips strip out so easy if you cannot get a perfect fit. Spruce does not seem to offer on their hardware page. Need a supplies for aviation grade screws.

I'm not sure what they call the tool that makes the half-round edge of a lighting hole. I know there's something out there. I have not paid much attention until I got that hole drilled and said IT WOULD SURELY BE NICE TO RAISE THE EDGE).
Appreciate any help!
Ron in Oregon

I decided to go with all torx head screws or Hex anywhere under the panel. Seems with the nutplates those #2 phillips strip out so easy if you cannot get a perfect fit. Spruce does not seem to offer on their hardware page. Need a supplies for aviation grade screws.
Hi Ron,

Here they are right here: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/NAS1351.php Just bought some from Spruce to put my tank cover plates back on after doing the SB. Cost me about $15.00 in screws but am hoping it's worth it if I ever need to crack into the tanks again when the wings are attached to the fuse.

That said, if what you're using them for is non-structural behind the panel, you may find something completely adequate and much cheaper at your local ACE aircraft supply.

Just FYI, #8 socket screws require a 3.5mm hex drive, so pick one of those up if your 15,000-pc home mechanics tool kit, like mine, doesn't have that size!

Last edited:
Thanks guys , I hit the jackpot on both items . QB9A putting the fuel and oil lines on now! Just finished canopy with Sikaflex. Real happy with the canopy.

Ron in Oregon

Thanks Roy. Great website on the screws. Thanks for the direction on the hinges. I start those on Monday. How's that new 7A of yours doing? I'm assuming 150 hrs? Whats it been 3 months? Great job Roy!

Talk to you soon. Ron