RickWoodall

Well Known Member
Would anyone have a pdf or some sort of screw chart they could post? I am having trouble sorting a few screws. Vans advice is to buy their mechanics cd for $25. Thats a big help. Apparently they call the screws one name, and acs calls them something different. Just trying to find a way to sort them and ensure I am always using the right ones. I have rivet, bolt, etc charts that are just printed out on paper and pinned up, they work great. A similar one for screws would be great.

ACS

I find that an actual bound hardcopy of the Aircraft Spruce Catalog (free) is an excellent reference for this sort of thing - and many others. Most every hardware item has either a photo or a pencil sketch making identification an easy task.

Screws

I use the GAHco website www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com which has a great cross-reference feature, as well as pictures and dimensions. Of couse, I have a computer in my shop on my workbench, so it's convenient. They also have a printed book.

screw chart

Thanks for the link. I tried it and no pics available for that screw. As an example, the plans spec an50-8r8 and an509-10r10.
vans cant hlep but says they are also called a ms24694? Ok, so i search that on the general hardward site...there arent any pics of ANY of those numbers, but they cross it to a AN173-4 GEEEEZ... I need a screw chart!
Havent had any issues so far, but i dont think I am asking for the world, and vans suggestion that I buy their $25 cd is pretty weak.
Thanks for the help here though.

craigvince said:
I use the GAHco website www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com which has a great cross-reference feature, as well as pictures and dimensions.

I second that.

I have printed off a lot of data sheets from the site, and keep them out in the hanger for quick reference.

When you click an item in the left hand column, such as "Bolts", look for a symbol that looks like a wrench, and says "info" in it. That will take you to the good stuff.

Thanks to GAHCO for putting this resource up for us.

Mike

CD is worth the price.

By "their CD", I assume that you are referring to the Mechanic's Toolbox CD, which Vans happens to sell. I have downloaded their demo, it looks pretty useful. You can probably get all of the information for free, but it brings a lot of stuff together in one package, and I think it is worth the $25. You can try this out before you buy, so there is nothing to lose.

Go to:

http://www.sacskyranch.com/mechanic.htm

Cheers,
Tracy.

screw chart

I dont care about the $25 really for the cd, but i find it annoying that they give you four hundred bags of misc parts and the screws...are on occassion hard to determine the right ones. A simple one page paper just like they have with bolts and blind rivets and drill charts would be so simple and easy. When they are using old numbers that just waste a pile of time trying to cross referrerence or telling me to go to a hardware firmst website and research it myself...well that blows. For $30K worth of parts, a little detail to help would be a nice addition without telling me they need another $25 and two weeks to get to my country. Its like buying a new truck for $50K and then they try and charge you an admin fee to do the paperwork. It just makes me annoyed. Its petty and stupid.

Its NOT the $25, its the point that annoys me. Nuff said, back to work.

I think the CD is unnecessary in that the part numbers listed for use on the plans are the same part numbers that appear on the "bag contents list" supplied by Van's along with the hardware in each kit.

Admittedly, real confusion can occur if someone empties the bags and tries to sort the misc. screws, bolts, rivets, and the "rest of the stuff" into some other container without reference to the bag contents list :confused: .

It does take some learning though. 6-32 and 1/4-20 are oddly similar and yet different. I think if you grew up in the metric system then the concept of a wire gauge of '6' and a diameter of '1/4' in the same sequence of components could easily be confusing. It must come under the 51% rule in the experimental category with the sub-heading "For your education and enjoyment" :eek: .

If this doesn't work let me know

The easiest way to see (if it is a common item) what the cross referenced number is.

Go to www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com (un-ashamed plug for my own company)

On the left side menu near the top, go to EZ Entry Order Form, click on that.

Put the number that you have in each Item Number Field, put at least 1 in qty.

Put as many numbers as you have to look up, as many as 10

You must click on "Find these products"

The Really nasty ones will come up in red, but don't give up hope, you can search from each entry by using the drop down box until you see something that most closely resembles your desired item. Click on that number and it will turn either yellow and ask you to look some more in a new drop down, or it will turn green and you should have the item that we typically stock.

The ones that come up in Yellow are recognized numbers in our system that we stock the superseding or alternate number for. You can choose on the drop down box an item that says to the right, "Typically Stocked" Once you select that it will turn green and you have a valid part number.

Once they are all green, click add to cart " don't be scared you did not buy it yet". By adding it to cart it will take you to the cart where all of your functional numbers will be.

From the cart, you can see the Part numbers and all the prices and discounts as applicable.

Load it up do it several times.

Now the good part: From the cart click on the parts numbers (they are hyper links) and it will take you directly to a rich source of information, which includes,
Part Numbers
Prices
Alternate Items
Basic Photos
Detailed Photo's
in some instances related items. IE what nut or washer typically goes with an NAS6203-12D, Try it you will like it!

The more you add to the cart the better final prices you will see.
Adding items will at some point cause the entire order to be re-priced, even for the fist item that you put in the cart.

At any time you may clear the cart or just close the screen.

Of course if you like what you see and we have what you need, we will be happy to accept your order.

Thanks for checking us out. Fellow builder RV6, Tom brink
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why does it all seem so complex? Some people are IFR in the fastener/hardware world, these are the instruments it takes to guide them to there destination without teaching a college course to each new customer.

There are many other ways to get info, depending on how you finally choose to do things.

A great way to learn of our helpful features is go to http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/site_tips.asp

Thanks for the detailed post. One of the posts says you get a detailed list of what is in each bag? Where is that? I have read every form I have, the packing slip etc. There are very few bags that have full details of what is in them. Most are listed as bag # 1234". on cross ref with the packing slip, i find it to be "tip up hardware" "misc bolts" "washers" etc. Very few have detailed lists of the contents. Some of the clear plastic bags have the details printed on them, but I have maybe 10 paperbags that each have all sorts of parts that are all mixed up. I can certainly figure it out...i just figured there was an easier way. Wasting hours on this is goofy.

Thanks for the tips on using your store site as a resource. When I get frustrated and throw the next bag of parts out the door, I will order my replacements from you. Thanks.
Building the plane is enjoyable, but it amazes me how much time must be wasted....doing silly little frustrating things that Vans could make so much cleared. I know the 51% rule...i just like getting things done, not farting around scratching my head. Movin on.

Parts Bags

Rick,
My kit came with a small binder, I believe red in color that contained a list of every bag that Van includes in all the kits. Also listed for each bag number is a list of the contents inside the bag. You need to find the bag number you're looking at and find it on the list, and it tells you what's inside that bag. Hope this helps.

The info is readily available

Rick,

Allan is building a 6, so that is a while back. I'm building a 7, which was started 4 years ago. I did not get a little red binder, but with every kit ordered, I did get a packing list that lists all of the parts including the bag numbers. I got a separate packing list that lists every bag, and every single part in each bag. If you did not get the separate list that lists each part in each bag, then contact Vans and get the list.

Also, regarding the screw chart, I'm pretty sure that section 5 of the manual does have a chart with screws and bolts shown. I cannot remember if it shows cross references for the AN .vs. MS parts. You should also have a copy of AC-43-13, and most of us buy one or more books on working with metal, which has these types of charts. Plus, the information is readily available on the net. I do not think learning the AN / MS part numbering systems is time wasted. That is part of your education.

If you feel strongly that Vans should supply a separate screw chart, then you should contact Vans, and tell them this. It won't help you now, but it might help someone in the future. That's part of being a builder, making the process better for the future.

Tracy.

Our Cd

Our CD is only four bucks ($4.00) postage paid in the US.

It has a lot of info about hardware in it, A LOT!

The new book p/n "PB REF BOOK" has a little more and I find it handier to use in the shop. It is $6.00 postage paid in the US.

We have a bigger binder type with 7 rings for $30.00,postage paid in the US. We actually sell quite a few of these. You can take one page out at a time an put it where you can look at it while not holding the book, or fax it a page to a friend.

THE PAPERBACK REFERENCE BOOK OR THE CD CAN BE FREE WITH A $75.00 OR MORE HARDWARE ORDER.
(it may show a charge for it in the cart but we take that out before charging you.)

Here is a link explaining why we have Reference Books instead of Catalogs.

http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/site_tips.asp#How_do_I_get_a_Catalog

We are here to help, we are "Helping Aviation Stay Together"