jsharkey

Well Known Member
I have a D100 and a GPSMAP 496 in my RV6. What do others use to clean fingermarks and other grime off the LCD screens?

Jim Sharkey

I use a rag dampened with slightly soapy water to clean everything on the panel. I follow up with a damp rag (no soap) to avoid leaving a film.

I use camera lens cleaner/cloth, the LCD screens on the 496 and my KMD150 both have anti glare coatings which need to be treated gently. The coating can be removed if you get careless cleaning it or if you leave your oily finger prints on them for to long. The anti glare coatings are the same as used on high end camera lenses.

I discovered a glasses lens cleaner at EyeMasters that works better than anything else I've used!

Be very careful what you used.Don't use anything that has ammoniac in it.It will ruin your display.Also not all pack of wipes are good to use.I used the ones that we used on the B-767/777(recommended by Boeing ) to clean my BMA G3 screen and it removed the anti-glare (at least I assume that's what it is)coating on the edge of the screen.:eek:
Greg Richter at BMA told me to use Windex without ammoniac and it has work fine so far.

Bruno

Spray Nine Screen Cleaner

Spray Nine came out with a screen cleaner about two years ago that works great. It comes in 8oz spray bottles. I have never see it for sale on a retail shelf it is possible office supply stores would carry it and a web search will yield you a many places where you can find it. It is their manufacturer # 52308.

I sell this commercially to distributors and of course have been utilizing some of the samples they sent me. I also gave a few samples to my flying club to use and so far it has worked great on pretty much everything including the anti-glare coating found on the GNS430's.

Here is a link to the Spray Nine website with additional info on it: http://204.202.239.40/product_info.php?cPath=61_62&products_id=427&osCsid=fbacfe7a0b72b22d268b707b228e227a

By the way, I also use their AV-8 Aircraft Soap for my belly and that is an excellent product. A little pricey from Aircraft Spruce compared to wholesale (or in my case - free) but well worth it especially with their free shipping for Oshkosh.