SteelMike

Well Known Member
Hey guys, I'm working out here in the garage de-burring and prepping the VS (I read somewhere that the VS is easier, so I decided to start with the VS).

Quick question: it seems like the ribs - all non blue-plastic-coated, non-alclad aluminum is pretty scratched up. I think it's partly due to how it is packaged. Do I need to be worried about these relatively minor scratches? At the moment, I have only the two types of scotchbright that come in the Isham toolkit. Do I need more than that to deal with it? Do I need to worry about it?

Here's some pictures. Tough to show, but i'll try anyway:

scratches%20002.jpg

See how they're kinda scuffed and scrathed? Here's one more:

scratches%20003.jpg

So scotchbright is the answer? They're scratched and scuffed up... basically all over. It's almost like scotchbright just kind of spreads the problem around, and introduces more scratching... But maybe it just looks that way to my inexperienced eye.

Non-issue - you'll scratch them up a lot more than that while building, and even more than that just before priming. The marks you see are in the surface layer of pure aluminum, which is very soft. It's so soft in fact, that if you write on it with a Sharpie, then remove the Sharpie ink with solvent, you can see the writing still in the metal surface from the scratches that the FELT TIP of the Sharpie left on the metal.

Build on.

Right on. That's what I was hoping. I was sitting there thinking, holy cra p, this stuff is so easy to scratch that this better be alright or I'm never going to get around to actually putting anything together!

I'm starting to realize this is like 95% prepping, maybe 5% building, huh?

clad you asked....

all non blue-plastic-coated, non-alclad aluminum is pretty scratched up.

It is my understanding that the ribs ARE alclad and therefore fall into the well reviewed prime/not-prime category :eek:

I left scratches alone except for the ones that were deep enough to bother my concience. The ones in your pictures are normal. Relax. A very few places I had a scratch that I buffed out and either used the alodine pen or some self etching primer. Maybe overkill, but I slept better.

If the scratches are deep enough to catch your finger nail remove the scratches if not carry on. This would apply to the entire aircraft.

alclad aluminum--

generally speaking,the alclad parts we receive from Vans are protected with plastic. Most parts that are mechanically formed (ribs, brackets etc.) in press brakes, punches, and shears are not alclad, and are prone to surface damage and scratches during these manufacturing operations. Also after forming they are heat treated for strength and proper temper. The extrusions(angles,bars ,and heavier parts such as castings) are of alloys that are for strength, or hardness or whatever the job calls for, but maybe are not as corrosion resistant, thus needing painting or other protection.

Hmm. Call Vans

The last time this conversation came up about ribs not being alclad, I called vans (because my wings are finished and I only primed fayed surfaces). They assured me that the ribs are alclad.

Interesting. What I know is that they're not blue-covered, and they're not as shiny. Either way, I'm feeling better about them. I like the fingernail rule, I'll use that from now on.

Okay, okay, here's an inevitable question: Now that I've screwed up some rivets (and successfully replaced all but one of them), what's the "oops bolt"? I think I'm in need of one. I imagine that the oops bolt depends on the size of the hole you're looking at. I screwed up a AN470AD4-4 in the ribs of the VS pretty bad because it was just close enough to tempt me to use the squeezer, but just far enough away to screw it up. What would be the go-to solution for an enlarged 4-4 hole?

see these threads on oops rivets

470 oops:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=20991&highlight=oops+rivet

Some have used an AN bolt or screw as a 470 repair. Check that there is enough edge distance to accomodate the increased hole size. Refer to AC 43-13 or call Vans if you are unsure of any repair methods.

426 oops:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=23834&highlight=oops+rivet

Edit:
Oh yeah, if the hole is not too far oversize, I understand some have "pre-squeezed" a rivet to better fit the oversized hole. I have little experience with this technique.

Last edited:
Darn. I was hoping I could use a bolt because the location of this messed up rivet is precisely why it got screwed up in the first place. Now, it's tough to reach and has a funky, enlongated and enlarged hole.

In the case of the bolts, does the kit come supplied with the oops AN-whatever bolts, or do you need to buy them separately?

Oh by the way, I found those threads too before posting. Good info especially for screwed up 3/32 skin rivets (the "oops rivet"). I have some "oops rivets" but too bad they're not going to work here!