Craig Coffin

I'm New Here
I just purchased a used tail kit for a 4, very little has been done. When I finally got a look at the parts, I was concerned with the number of scratches in the skins. There are areas where the skins were rubbing together in shipping and from other sources. I plan on priming interior surfaces with a self-ethcing primer for aluminum and also painting the plane when finished. Do I need to completly sand out/ polish the scratches or just remove rough surfaces and prime? I do not want to remove more material than I need to. The plane will be in So Cal so it will be in a dry environment, but I do want to make sure that I don't leave areas that will lead to corrosion in the future.

Craig

edge scratches

edge sratches are the ones i sand smooth, as a general rule remove no more than 10 % sheet thickness.as far as scratches in the center (away from the edges and holes) i would just smooth them out. when you begin to sand a scratch out you will see the alclad open up and the real deal under neath.the all clad provides 0 strength and is about .002 thick. so on a .025 skin you can go to around 4-5 thou. YMMV good luck.smaple the worst one. then just wait till your finished to do the rest before you paint.

self etching primer

When some self etching primers get hard, they don't adhere to the paint to follow. Read the label on your primer. If it says "paint within 7 days or scuff sand to promote adhesion" that implies the paint won't stick after 7 days.

Believe the label. Scuff sanding does not promote adhesion as well as fresh primer. Once upon a time we primered a 55 chev with PPG self etching primer but waited 3 weeks before paint (due to a major problem). Yes, we scuff sanded before painting, no, it didn't adhere properly.