Stewie

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi all-
Just curious if anyone has any experience using Nuvite F9, aluminum oxide 600/1000 grit sandpaper, or other techniques to remove deep scratches from polished aluminum? Any tips would be appreciated. I've done a fair bit of the empennage with F7/S and no problems so far but my fuse was long in a barn and scratched up more than F7 will take out.
Eric

Polish

Do what Boomer suggested. Unless they're deep gouges you won't even see them when you finish with the "S". Even then, you'll have to look close to to see them. Other people won't see them, they'll be blinded by the shine.:D

NO dice...

Hi guys-
Thanks for your suggestions. However, I've already tried G6 to no avail. Has anyone tried sanding with aluminum oxide?

G-6

Hi guys-
Thanks for your suggestions. However, I've already tried G6 to no avail. Has anyone tried sanding with aluminum oxide?

I wouldn't use the sandpaper. It will completely remove the alclad and show a slightly different color or sheen where you use it. You may like the scratches better.

After you finish the "S", I think you will like the results.

i suggest

G6 with a 3" air polisher from Harbor Freight. The small polisher /Buffer helps to focus your efforts on the scratch. I tried very fine (2000 to 4000) grit sandpaper from a hobby shop on deep scratches. Not sure it helped much, but be careful not to cut thru alclad. Next time I'mgoing to try burnishing the scratch first.