339A

Well Known Member
Most flying enthusiasts have spent their fair share of time and money in pursuit of the infamous $100-hamburger. Well slide over Mr. All-Beef Patty and make room for the $600 movie!

Our SoCal friends Paul & Victoria Rosales have been hosting movie nights at their spacious hangar in Rosamond Skypark since June of 2007. Once or twice a month, throughout the summer, they roll out the red carpet for friends and neighbors to watch a movie under the stars of the Mojave Desert. In case you’re wondering exactly where the Mojave is, the image below (compliments of the USGS) shows it outlined in red.

usgsmojavedesert.jpg

There are also occasions when Rosie and Tuppergal crank up the heat in the hangar and move the event inside. As luck would have it, weather and work schedules allowed the Millses to attend the Rosaleses’ most recent hangar shindig over the Presidents’ Day weekend.

We were wheels up out of the Front Range Airport at 10:00 a.m. MDT. Winds on the ground were calm and temps were chilly, though not to the extreme. Weather patterns being what they typically are over the rock pile this time of year, we made like our feathered friends and flew south a bit in order to pass between the Sangre de Cristo and Culebra mountain ranges via La Veta Pass. Though this was an indirect route that increased our traveling time and distance by about 22%, it was a sensible decision.

After donning our plastic mustaches (O2 Oxysaver Cannulas), we cruised along at an altitude of 12,500. We revisited the era of spandex and big-hair with former video jock Martha Quinn on XM’s 80s station and took in the spectacular view out the window.

dsc0021edited.jpg

Our first 3.25-hour leg brought us as far as St. Johns Industrial Airpark in St. Johns, Arizona. As Gary the elder refueled the RV, we made for the restrooms, stretched our legs, and perused the assorted cards and scraps of paper tacked to the FBO bulletin board.

dsc0146edited.jpg

After departing KSJN, we ate lunch and settled in for another 3.25-hour leg. A circular crop at the Barstow-Daggett Airport in Daggett, California, kinda sorta looks like Pac-Man fixin’ to gobble up runway 26.

dsc0051edited.jpg

The wind sock was limp as we touched down on LØØ’s runway 26 at 3:30 PDT. It was a pleasant 58 degrees on the ground; and best of all, NO SNOW.

dsc0068edited.jpg

We spent about an hour visiting with Victoria before Paul got home from work. After a second walk around the airpark and a quick visit with Mercedes, we went to the Great Wall Mandarin Chinese restaurant in Lancaster for dinner. The tasty food was rivaled only by the company.

Across the street from Paul and Victoria live Angel and Deb. They wanted to check out an RV6A that’s currently hangared at Santa Paula Airport, so Scott and Rosie flew ‘em over for a look-see on Saturday. Scott, who had wanted to change 339A’s oil before heading to Rosamond, decided to “git-r-done”
after returning to the skypark later that afternoon.

dsc0079edited.jpg

Set-up for the potluck and movie began at around 4:00. Paul and Victoria’s efficient system for hangar-event set up/tear down must be seen to be fully appreciated. Practice makes perfect.

dsc0084edited.jpg

By the time the last of the guests had arrived, there were between 12 and 15 crocks of soup that included split pea a-la-Rosie (with a little help from Victoria), a few variations of chicken noodle, beef stew, taco, chowder, Italian sausage, and several varieties of bean. There were also assorted breads and desserts, as well as hot/cold beverages to wash it all down.

dsc0102edited.jpg

dsc0113edited.jpg

More to follow...

Last edited:
Movie in the Mojave Cont.

After dinner, upwards of 50 people watched the movie. In anticipation of temps a bit chillier than what they ended up being, Rosie had chosen to show the short 47-minute IMAX documentary, Space Station. A good flick, in keeping with the projectionist?s stipulation that movie night selections must include flying.

dsc0118edited.jpg

It was 49 degrees on the ground at L?? as we topped off our tanks and headed to the run-up area in preparation for departure. As always, the folks at the Dew Drop Inn had taken exceptionally good care of us. Many thanks to Paul and Victoria for their outstanding hospitality and their friendship.

dsc0125edited.jpg

Following our 696?s trail of bread crumbs (aka flight plan in reverse), we landed back at KSJN 3.25 hours after leaving the Mojave.

movieinmojavespotty.jpg

Though our aim was to get all the way back to Broncos Country, Scott had anticipated the possibility of mountain conditions preventing us from getting through the pass. The information he was seeing online at Weathermeister.com seemed to confirm his suspicions, but we kept a wait-and-see attitude.

While the climb out of St. Johns was rather BuMpY, the remainder of our northeasterly flight was smooth and scenic.

dsc0170edited.jpg

dsc0183edited.jpg

As we neared the notch where we would enter the pass, images of Mordor?s Mount Doom sprang to mind.

dsc0196edited.jpg

Things weren?t looking much better up close, so we turn-tailed it back to the San Luis Valley Regional Airport/Bergman Field. While we probably could?ve climbed a few thousand feet higher and made it over the top without incident, we opted for an overnighter in Alamosa.

dsc0239edited.jpg

John, a helpful FBO attendant at the aptly named Mountain View Aeromotive, topped off our tanks, stowed 339A in a hangar for the night, and called us a cab?no courtesy car at KALS. We had a 45-minute wait before one of Little Stinker?s drivers would be showing up, so we chatted with John and surfed the net.

That night it was Valentine?s dinner for two at Chili?s, just a short walk from the HI Express. Our ears were about frozen off by the time we made our way back to the hotel after dinner. It was mighty cold next morning, too; -7 degrees F outside our hotel at 8:00 a.m. John reported that it had been negative double digits when he arrived at the airport at o?dark-thirty. (Still doesn?t beat the 27 below that Scott encountered while driving through Fairplay a couple weeks back, but that?s another story.) The San Luis Valley is apparently known for its particularly cold winters.

Although the desert was sounding pretty dang good at this point, it was a wonderfully clear and crisp Colorado morning. As we headed back to the airport along Highway 160, the sun seemed to sparkle off the snow with greater intensity that usual. Not sure if this was due to the position of the sun, the extra cold temperature, or over-active imagination, but it sure was pretty to look at.

dsc0249edited.jpg

By the time the bird and the occupants had been readied for flight, the temperature outside had ?warmed up? (obviously a relative term) to minus 2.

dsc0254edited.jpg

(That?sFBO-attendant John on the right.)

We hit the skies over Alamosa and headed toward La Veta at 8:45ish. By 10:15 we were back on the ground at Front Range. The early-morning flight was absolutely beautiful.

dsc0280edited.jpg

And that, aviators and friends, is how you spend $600 flying out for a movie. Strictly speaking, of course, trips lasting longer than a couple of hours don?t really qualify as $100-hamburger ventures. But the moral of the story is this: You don?t have to embark on a full-scale adventure to enjoy good times in your RV. At the end of the day, it?s not about the duration of the jaunt, the destination, the meal you eat, or the movie you watch. It?s about the freedom, the fun factor, the flying, and the friends.

KPR ? It is SO worth it.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Trip Stats:

11.8 hours air time (plus 1.0 of day tripping)
2,180 miles round trip
$560 ($420 fuel, $70 meals/snacks, $50 hangar space, $20 taxi, $0 room cost?gotta love those hotel points)

Nice Pictures

Deb, It looks as if the new camera Scotty got you for Xmas works quite well. Wish we could have joined you on the trip. We be heading to E Texas on March 5th (visit with Dad) with a planed stop for some BBQ. Come and join us.

Thanks for allowing us to "see" how it will be some day for us who are still building! Great pics and write-up.

Off topic: Care to share some info on the DFC and AM pinned to the interior?

Thanks!

Thanks for allowing us to "see" how it will be some day for us who are still building! Great pics and write-up.

Off topic: Care to share some info on the DFC and AM pinned to the interior?

Thanks!

Scott,

Nice write up.

WIsh I was there too.

Never noticed the medals in 339A, Dad's? Yours?

Those are my Dad's. He was in War II in the Pacific. Crew member (Bombardier) on The Flying Dutchman VB 108. He was awarded 3 DFCs and 17 Air Medals along with a host of other medals. He was one of those guys that never talked about it ... I really wish I could have gotten some stories out of him. I'm sure he had some great ones.

I have a book from a reunion of VB 108 that is full of stories/pics of their trials and tribulations. A good one third of it was written by Harvey Hopp, his pilot, and one of the other crew members. Absolutely amazing that they survived.

He loved to build things but was already gone when I started 339A. My mom gave me the medals before I finished. I thought what could be a more appropriate place to display them but in a plane I built, Thanks to all of their efforts for keeping us free!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments

Great trip write-up. Guess I gotta take in one of those movie nights one of these months.

Cheers,
greg

This is our second movie night with the Rosaleses and we have a lot of fun thanks to Paul and Victoria. We've even started doing them at Hangar 2E out at FTG. They are a great way to get together with others and have fun.

Deb, It looks as if the new camera Scotty got you for Xmas works quite well. Wish we could have joined you on the trip. We be heading to E Texas on March 5th (visit with Dad) with a planed stop for some BBQ. Come and join us.

Deb is going through the learning curve with the new camera, but she REALLY likes it. It takes great pics. All of these pictures were taken in Raw format which allows for more editing options. ;) She has already bought another lens (telephoto) which should be here any day.

Another great writeup Deb, always good inspiration!

Great pictures! Thanks for posting.

Thanks for all the comments, Deb really likes to know that people are reading what she writes.

Thanks for the info on the medals. You should be very proud!

I've enjoyed your webpage as well! I appreciate your perspective on life as my wife and I are a short time away from it "just being us" also.

Great write-up!

Outstanding photos! Gotta make one of those movie nights myself sometime. Just a hop, skip and jump from SE AZ.

After departing KSJN, we ate lunch and settled in for another 3.25-hour leg. A circular crop at the Barstow-Daggett Airport in Daggett, California, kinda sorta looks like Pac-Man fixin? to gobble up runway 26.

That just cracks me up guys! :D Fantastic write up. Just goes to show that you never know what strange things are waiting for you when you finish your RV. I am guessing that the camera is already listed as "standard equipment," and is already factored into the W&B for every trip. Can't wait for another movie night, and perhaps a ride the 9A when the opportunity arises.