60av8tor

Well Known Member
I have the shop all set up, received all my tools, attend an EAA workshop this weekend, received my practice kits this evening, and got the call this afternoon that my -10 empennage will be delivered Wednesday. After months of planning, prep, and thinking about it, the adventure is about to begin!

One issue is that of my grinder. It is smooth as glass with the stock wheels, but with the Scotchbrite wheel it vibrates like no one's business. Spinning the wheel on a large screwdriver, it is obviously not balanced well at all. Just wondering if this is normal for this type of wheel, or if it is worth trying to exchange it with Cleaveland?

Mine does the same thing, I need to balance it somehow, I thought I saw on here somewhere how to do it but can't find the info now.

Mine did the same, I took an old flat file and worked the wheel until it was round.

I used the edges of the file on the spinning wheel.

There was a previous thread a few years back, as I recall it mentioned using a piece of 60 grit sanding belt glued to a piece of strong wood, and using that against the spinning wheel------use it like a lever to pry against the bench to force it into the face of the wheel.

I believe others have used the dressing tool for the carborundum wheel with success also.

71pOlz0unaL._SL1500_.jpg

Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, gentlemen. I chose to exchange with a new one, as this one is very bad. Just took a quick call to Cleaveland with great customer service...