pietermk

Well Known Member
hello all, the tail kit arrived yesterday so I have been reading the manual. One of the things that I still need to get are the scotchbrite wheels for my benchgrinder and my die grinders that I just bought at Avery.

after searching this forum and google I am not sure which ones and where to buy these. there seem to be many different types.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

thanks

I found them FAR cheaper in EBay, in fact I bouht 5 of them since they were cheap, did not know how many one goes thru on one plane.

The 1" ones for the die grinder I buy at Reid Supply Co. which turned out to be cheapest source so far. Here's the item description:
3M-13713 :: Grade - 2S FIN, Size - 1 x 1 x 3/16, Max. RPM - 30,100, Scotch-Brite EXL Unitized Wheel, Abrasives, 3M

For the 6" diameter I didn't find a good source and went with Cleveland at the time. I also got he Cut & Polish wheel which is much more agrressive and good for trimming away larger pieces quickly. This and the soft one for deburring are a perfect match for the bench grinder.

http://www.averytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=3753

in the part description avery mentions this is the one VAC recommends

Hm, that surprises me as this is the harder Cut & Polish wheel which eats away on the aluminum in no time. I find this helpful when there are leftover pieces from cutting apart parts or when the edges are very rough from the hacksaw.
The universal deburring wheel which really just deburrs and doesn't eat away metal is the softer version. I didn't find it at Avery but Cleaveland has it both here:
3MW7A6

and here

3MW77S6

The 1" I've referred to before are made from that softer compound like the 3MW77S6 and that worked just fine for me.

Medium Scotchbrite Wheel

I bought the medium grade wheel from Avery or Cleaveland I can't remember which. I have it mounted on my drill press using the adapter. This works well, but I do wish I had the finer wheel available too. I end up doing a little hand work after I finish with the wheel now.

I did see these wheels for lower prices on Ebay and etc, but at the time I wasn't sure exactly what I wanted so I bought mine from one of the recommended tool vendors. I do think you could save some money though if you purchase elsewhere.

The 1" ones for the die grinder I buy at Reid Supply Co. which turned out to be cheapest source so far. Here's the item description:
3M-13713 :: Grade - 2S FIN, Size - 1 x 1 x 3/16, Max. RPM - 30,100, Scotch-Brite EXL Unitized Wheel, Abrasives, 3M

For the 6" diameter I didn't find a good source and went with Cleveland at the time. I also got he Cut & Polish wheel which is much more agrressive and good for trimming away larger pieces quickly. This and the soft one for deburring are a perfect match for the bench grinder.

Short question, i ordered the Die grinder wheels you reference above and they came in today. but I am not sure if I got the right thing. they are cylindrical cones not flat wheels that I expected. I guess I was expecting more a disc like piece as the image showed.
secondly it did not come with a stem to attach the wheels to the die grinders.

I must have missed something

thanks

I'll take a picture of them when I get home and post it here. When you order the wheels you only get the wheels. To attach them to a die grinder you need a mandrel. It's screw-on type so you can easily screw on a fresh wheel when the old one is used up. I believe I got that mandrel at Cleaveland Tools. I'll look up the number when I get home.

Talking about this mandrel ... how do you get it into the wheel so that it is really straight (i.e. coaxial) and the wheel doesn't wobble?

Hm, that surprises me as this is the harder Cut & Polish wheel which eats away on the aluminum in no time. I find this helpful when there are leftover pieces from cutting apart parts or when the edges are very rough from the hacksaw.
The universal deburring wheel which really just deburrs and doesn't eat away metal is the softer version. I didn't find it at Avery but Cleaveland has it both here:
3MW7A6

and here

3MW77S6

The 1" I've referred to before are made from that softer compound like the 3MW77S6 and that worked just fine for me.

I've got both on the same grinder, The 3MW7A6 take care of the nasty stuff and the 3MW77S6 does a great final polish. I actually like the 3MW77S6 better.

Someone earlier posted a link to some company, I think in Nebraska, that sold a whole bag of scotchbrite wheels and a mandrel, for something like $10. Best bargain I got, I use them daily, first class stuff.

OK learned some new, it is called a mandrel. I have been living here for 13 years but sometimes I just don't know what a certain tool or part of a tool is called :)

thanks everyone

Yep, it's a mandrel and this is the link to Avery's supply. Cleaveland has it too but I want to keep it balanced due to fairness and I had mentioned Cleaveland before :)
Mandrel 936

You just screw the wheel on, it centers itself well enough and as it is a soft material a little wobble doesn't do anything as grinds down quickly.

And this is how the wheel should look like:
IMG_5009.JPG

1" in diameter and 1" long with a 3/16" hole in the center.

Here's a different shot showing the labeling on the wheel:
IMG_5010.JPG

Hope that helps.

Yeah thanks, that is it. It has been most useful, I just leave it in the die grinder. The price is right as well, highly recommend anyone without one consider the $15 kit early in the build. They are fairly soft, but I am still on my first wheel and I have finished the V Stab and Rudder, working on the AST's now. Should be enough for the whole build in there.