prkaye

Well Known Member
After setting my first row of rivets through the skin, I decided to take a scotchbright pad and run it over the outside of the skin along the rivet line, to smooth everything out (so when i run my finger along the rivet line it feels even smoother). When I did this, it rubbed the goldish-colour coating off the flush heads of the rivets, leaving them silvery like the rest of the skin. Is this a no-no? Have I exposed these rivets to corrosion in the years before I get to the stage of painting?

Don't fret

Don't give it another thought...If (and thats a huge if) you caused a problem..the problem will be between the rivet and the skin....I guarantee you didn't rub any protection off of there.

Not even a consideration, if you paint the aircraft all the rivets will get scotchbrited (uses a HF rotary sander) well before applying paint.

but even if you don't forget about it.

Frank

dont be doin that

like said earlier you will do this when you paint untill then all you have done is take off the .002 thick alclad. who knows how long it will be till your finished, much less painted. i would reccomend not doing that but then thats just my .02
prkaye said:
years before I get to the stage of painting?
sweat on it one time and give it a week

Last edited:
I think the issue with the Scotchbrite is nearly zero, but if you're worried wait until just before painting. One thing about working the rivet heads is to thoroughly clean out the tiny void areas between the rivet head and the skin before beginning the painting process. I seem to remember using detergent and water, with a sponge. Maybe a little compressed air if you want to be really thorough. There may be better ideas.

Leaving foreign material in here might cause you some problem later on with paint debonding, blistering, etc. around the rivet heads.

Phil,

If you are catching your fingernail when running it over the rivet heads, then perhaps you are pushing too hard on the bucking bar and not getting the factory side of the rivet to sit 100% flush. Once-in-a-while, this happens, since every rivet will not be perfect, but normally you should not feel the edge of the flush rivet.

Since you are a new builder, I would suggest that you get in contact with a technical counselor or another builder to have a look at your work. If there is a problem with your technique, then they will catch it early. If everything is ok, then you will be able to continue with confidence.

Tracy.