Scotchbrite is a nylon scrubbing pad much like you would find in a grocery store for cleaning pots and pans. There are no metal particles in it which could lead to corrosion of aluminum surfaces. I used scotchbrite for scuffing surfaces prior to priming because paint does not like to stick to the shiny surface of aluminum. The pads can also be used to clean off light corrosion from aluminum surfaces.
The dremel bit you mentioned could be used for grinding severe corrosion from aluminum but I doubt you would need it for your RV project.
http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/scotchbrite/products/scrubber.html

Dremel tool

Phil,
Craftsman makes a schotchbrite accessory for Dremel tools. I'll try to get the product number tonight. Sears is the only place I've found it.

I use teh Scotchbright pads all the time too (I could hardly have gotten most of the way through my fuselage kit without knowing what a scotchbright pad is!) - what I'm wondering abotu is the dense scotchbright wheels for benchgrinders (I've also seen these by the generic name "unitized wheel"). I have one of these too. I'm just wondering if they're made from the same stuff as this dremel wheel - superficially the material looks quite similar.

Don - if yuo could get that product number for me, that would be great! I'm thinking of getting a Dremel for the sole purpose of the 561 multipurpose cutting bit, which looks like it might be a good choice for cutting things like the hold for my pitot mast, or even holes in the panel...

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/attachm...accessory-detail.htm?G=66357&H=188549&I=66359

The Dremel part number is 500. I look around the web to find the best deal. I buy 5-6 at a time. Great for smoothing out edges nothing else can get into. Great for lightening holes.

Does the Craftsman 53142 or Dremel 500 work as good as a "real" Scotchbrite Wheel? I've been looking for something like this for years!

I've tried other types of grinding tips in my Dremel, but they always get clogged up with aluminum and are useless after about 15 seconds.:(

Does the Craftsman 53142 or Dremel 500 work as good as a "real" Scotchbrite Wheel? I've been looking for something like this for years!

I've tried other types of grinding tips in my Dremel, but they always get clogged up with aluminum and are useless after about 15 seconds.:(

I used a whole lot of 2" scotchbrite wheels (the blue ones) in a 90 degree air die grinder thoughout my RV project. IMO, it was one of the best tools I had. These days, you can get the wheels at Sears or Harbor Freight.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Aluminum oxide is oxidized aluminum, which is a ceramic and is inert to the Aluminum. Aluminum oxide is the white material that forms when aluminum corrodes. The presence of Al203 will not induce any more corrosion.

I've gone through a couple already. They look, feel, wear and act like a medium scotchbright wheel. Who knows, maybe 3M makes them for Dremel?

Yes it works well for corners and tight areas. I only use it for tight areas because it does wear quickly and they are about $5.00 a pop.
Here is another option if you have a die grinder.
http://www.cleavelandtoolstore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=3MW2S1
You will also need a mandrel.

Last edited:
Not Always....

Scotchbrite is a nylon scrubbing pad much like you would find in a grocery store for cleaning pots and pans. There are no metal particles in it which could lead to corrosion of aluminum surfaces. I used scotchbrite for scuffing surfaces prior to priming because paint does not like to stick to the shiny surface of aluminum. The pads can also be used to clean off light corrosion from aluminum surfaces.
The dremel bit you mentioned could be used for grinding severe corrosion from aluminum but I doubt you would need it for your RV project.
http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/scotchbrite/products/scrubber.html

Scotch Brite from 3M in their industrial section (where stuff has real part numbers...:)...) is a woven binder with Aluminum Oxide as the abrasive.

This 3M link to the 7447 Maroon Scotchbrite hand pads we use states that the abrasive is Aluminum Oxide - there are metal particles in it...

http://solutions9.3m.com/wps/portal...duct-Information/Products/Abrasives/Hand-Pad/

I would hazard a guess that there is some sort of abrasive in the consumer pads, but since it's a consumer item, the specifications are a little looser...

Aluminum oxide is OK as an abrasive on our aluminum sheets.

I've also used the small Dremel wheels with the quick change feature, and they do work well, but seem to wear out and/or tear up easily. They work well for reducing sharp edges on thick aluminum - such as instrument panel holes (last night's task...:)...)

The purple ones are 320 grit...

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/attachm...accessory-detail.htm?H=189191&G=69876&I=69884

gil A

Last edited:
places to buy

Phil, Ottawa Fastener Supply sells a complete knock-off brand dremil for about $30 or $40 that includes a ton of bits. Lee Valley sells diamond discs for cheap that are great for cutting fiberglass, plastic etc. Acs sells cutting bits that are great for shaping holes in aluminum. My second best friend however has been a laminate trimmer with a carbide spiral bit. I use this freehand to shape some cutouts and a 1/2" 2 bladed straight bit with bearing makes perfectly straight cuts when used with an edge guide. I used this to remove excess stabilizer skin when it interfered with the elevators. Took about 1 minute to remove 1/8" from the entire length and it is perfect. Would have taken and hour with a file.

Does anyone besides me hate the Dremel tool? I went through three Dremel brand tools in the course of two years at nearly $100 a pop. Now I use an air powered Sioux Pencil Grinder that takes all the 1/8" shank tools for dremels.

Does anyone besides me hate the Dremel tool? I went through three Dremel brand tools in the course of two years at nearly $100 a pop. Now I use an air powered Sioux Pencil Grinder that takes all the 1/8" shank tools for dremels.

They have their place, but I prefer air tools. The tools last a long time, have great control, and the pads, bits, or cutters last much longer. I've gone though dozens of Dremel scotch brite pads, and I still have the 2" pads for the die grinder.

3M Roloc discs rule.

I used a whole lot of 2" scotchbrite wheels (the blue ones) in a 90 degree air die grinder thoughout my RV project. IMO, it was one of the best tools I had. These days, you can get the wheels at Sears or Harbor Freight.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Agreed. :) The 90* die grinder with roloc attachment is a VERY handy tool. The only challenge is finding a source of roloc discs that won't break the bank. Fine grit pads (blue) are the common tool, but the coarse pads and even sanding disks are darned handy.

For people that don't know roloc, type roloc into google to find the 3M roloc page.

Also second DAX on the air pencil. Lots better than the many Dremels I have thrown away. My air pencil grinder came from a Home Depo "sale" table for 20 bucks and it has outlasted them all. Harbor Freight probably has similar.

Can't live without them

Agreed. :) The 90* die grinder with roloc attachment is a VERY handy tool. The only challenge is finding a source of roloc discs that won't break the bank. Fine grit pads (blue) are the common tool, but the coarse pads and even sanding disks are darned handy.

For people that don't know roloc, type roloc into google to find the 3M roloc page.

Also second DAX on the air pencil. Lots better than the many Dremels I have thrown away. My air pencil grinder came from a Home Depo "sale" table for 20 bucks and it has outlasted them all. Harbor Freight probably has similar.

I have two 90 degree die grinders with rolocs in them that I can't live without. Ditto on the blue or even gray pads. You have to buy replacement pads from an industrial or autobody supply house to get a good price.

A cheap HF straight die grinder with a carbide cutting tip makes quick work of cutting or trimming holes such as the gear leg or landing light holes.

Thanks for the tips to source rolocs

Thanks all for the links to get roloc pads. I have a big bag that I got for a great price at SNF or some tool show (CRS y'know).

I made the cost point because a new user will have to do some searching. (your links are good) For example, one time I got stuck without the right pad, went to the local auto store but they would only sell me a box of 100, which was priced at about $80, ouch. 80 cents each was OK but I didn't want to spring $80 that day. I wound up buying a couple from Lowes or the Depo for an outrageous price of about 3 bucks each. I wanted about 10, but got done with 2 for the job at hand.

OK Mike, do you work for Enco?....:)

I can only find Roloc style 2 inch disks for 57 cents on the link you sent, and that is only if you buy 100 at a time....:eek:

The 50 cents each (in individual quantities) from The Yard still sounds like a better source to me....:)

gil A

Gil-----two different Mikes quoted.:confused:

I dont work for anybody, in fact they pay me to stay away----AKA retired:D

Since I virtually never buy anything on line, much prefer to support local businesses, I cant comment on your recommendation for Yard store. The best selection, and price I have found for Roloc products is, as stated above, auto paint/body store.

As to the Roloc, these suckers just work. Professional grade stuff.

Sources...

Gil-----two different Mikes quoted.:confused:

I dont work for anybody, in fact they pay me to stay away----AKA retired:D

Since I virtually never buy anything on line, much prefer to support local businesses, I cant comment on your recommendation for Yard store. The best selection, and price I have found for Roloc products is, as stated above, auto paint/body store.

As to the Roloc, these suckers just work. Professional grade stuff.

Sorry Mike S... It was Mike H I was referring to...:D

I agree on the Roloc disks... they are just the ticket in a 90 degree angle grinder. A Dremel cutting disk (see another currect thread) and the Roloc sandng disk just cut the large Dynon hole in my 0.080 instrument panel overlay...:)

I personally save day time and do most of my ordering on-line after normal business hours. A midnight Sunday AC Spruce order arrives Tuesday afternoon - hard to beat...

I also do prefer to support local businesses, but the local auto paint DuPont dealer (a large national chain) charges a big premium for his stuff. I am sure that the professionals that use him get a good discount that is not given to the casual walk-in customer (me...:)...)

Before I retired, I used to drive past a one owner (not a chain) auto paint supply place in S. Tucson... his prices were much better, but it's not now worth the 24 mile one-way trip to go there...:(

Sorry for the Mike mix-up... my post was intended to give a better specific on-line source (with a link to an actual page) for the Roloc-style disks from a supplier that can also handle our other supply needs such as riveting...:)

gil A

2 x Mike

Sorry Mike S... It was Mike H I was referring to...:D

I agree on the Roloc disks... they are just the ticket in a 90 degree angle grinder. A Dremel cutting disk (see another currect thread) and the Roloc sandng disk just cut the large Dynon hole in my 0.080 instrument panel overlay...:)

I personally save day time and do most of my ordering on-line after normal business hours. A midnight Sunday AC Spruce order arrives Tuesday afternoon - hard to beat...

I also do prefer to support local businesses, but the local auto paint DuPont dealer (a large national chain) charges a big premium for his stuff. I am sure that the professionals that use him get a good discount that is not given to the casual walk-in customer (me...:)...)

Before I retired, I used to drive past a one owner (not a chain) auto paint supply place in S. Tucson... his prices were much better, but it's not now worth the 24 mile one-way trip to go there...:(

Sorry for the Mike mix-up... my post was intended to give a better specific on-line source (with a link to an actual page) for the Roloc-style disks from a supplier that can also handle our other supply needs such as riveting...:)

gil A
Hey Gil,
Lotta Mike's out there. No I don't work for Enco-they're in NV, I'm in KY. When in a rural community like I am-30 miles to anywhere-online shopping is a necessity-especially with a 15mpg diesel truck that now costs $100 a fill up.:eek: Didn't know about the yard store so I've placed it on my favorites list. You are a wealth of information - thanks again. Can I just download your consciousness onto my hard drive-it would save time.:rolleyes:
Mike H 9A/8A

Sioux pencil grinder, which model

Hi Guys,

I read this thread with great interest because waiting for my QB fuse and wings to show up I'm still equipping my garage for the build. I found two Sioux pencil grinders: 5979A and 5978A, with the difference being 70K vs 54K RPM and $115 vs $90. Any compelling reason to pay more for the faster one?

Doug R. suggestion...

Hey Gil,
Lotta Mike's out there. ......Didn't know about the yard store so I've placed it on my favorites list. You are a wealth of information - thanks again.

Can I just download your consciousness onto my hard drive-it would save time.:rolleyes:
Mike H 9A/8A

Mike H... thanks for the comments...

Perhaps Doug R. could have a section that could list proven sources by category for new builders - his advertisers could get first billing, and then everyone else - just like Google...:)

Sort of like the now defunct "RV Yeller Pages"

gil A

- still working on the "Vulcan Mind Meld" thingy - Mr. Spock hasn't responded yet :D

Last edited:
Mr. Spock

Gil,
When I get this 9A finished I've gotta come to AZ to see ya. 'Yeller' pages-I love it. Kind of like the sales girl on the Best Buy ads helping the guy buy a laptop-she's gotta get to know him first before she helps him, vulcan mind melt:rolleyes:
Take care,
Mike H 9A/8a

Pencil die grinder

Hi Guys,

I read this thread with great interest because waiting for my QB fuse and wings to show up I'm still equipping my garage for the build. I found two Sioux pencil grinders: 5979A and 5978A, with the difference being 70K vs 54K RPM and $115 vs $90. Any compelling reason to pay more for the faster one?
Taking a lead from Gil A, the 54K grinder is cheaper at the Yard store
http://www.yardstore.com/browse.cfm/4,3982.html
I'm gonna have to get one of those, my second Dremel is Kaput!
Mike H 9A/8A

Does anyone know for sure that the craftsman and dremel products are made with Aluminum Oxide???

I've bought both of them and there is no documentation stating that it's AL oxide. So I've been afraid to use them. I've also checked online without success.

By the way, here's a site with Aluminum Oxide accessories for dremel tools. Haven't ordered from them yet, but I'm sure I will.

http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/CTGY/dremel-polish-abrasive-aluminum-oxide

OK to use...

Does anyone know for sure that the craftsman and dremel products are made with Aluminum Oxide???

I've bought both of them and there is no documentation stating that it's AL oxide. So I've been afraid to use them. I've also checked online without success.

By the way, here's a site with Aluminum Oxide accessories for dremel tools. Haven't ordered from them yet, but I'm sure I will.

http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/CTGY/dremel-polish-abrasive-aluminum-oxide

Why are you afraid to use them? Aluminum Oxide is fine for use on our aluminum skins.

The FAA says so... even for the Ferrous Metals we use.

Check out Table 6-1 in your copy of AC 43.13-1B.

Selecting the correct grit should be a bigger worry....:)

gil A

I think you mis-understood me, Gil.

I would love to use them if they're Aluminum Oxide. I just haven't found a place that says the craftsman or dremel accessories are really Aluminum Oxide.

I have bought the dremel and craftsman accessories, but the documentation in the package doesn't mention the type of abrasive. I've looked online and they don't mention it on their websites either.

Since I can't find something definative, I'm not using them.

Does anyone know where we can find the real info on it?

Ooops - but still OK

I think you mis-understood me, Gil.

I would love to use them if they're Aluminum Oxide. I just haven't found a place that says the craftsman or dremel accessories are really Aluminum Oxide.

I have bought the dremel and craftsman accessories, but the documentation in the package doesn't mention the type of abrasive. I've looked online and they don't mention it on their websites either.

Since I can't find something definative, I'm not using them.

Does anyone know where we can find the real info on it?

Oops... yes I misinterpreted....:eek: Sorry...

However, the stuff that used to be in question was Silicon Carbide... with very confusing AC 43.13 references to it's use with Alclad aluminum.

If you search VAF, this was cleared up with a much later, and definitive, NASA reference document that stated Silicon Carbide was OK for all aluminum, including Alclad.

I believe that all of our usual abrasives are one or other of these materials. If you take out the conflicting AC 43.13 reference to Silicon Carbide, there are no other "do not use" references...

gil A

Yeah, I remember the confusion where one part of 43.13 said it was okay to use and another section said it wasn't.

So I guess the dremel and craftsman stuff are Silicon Carbide?