Stalldog

Well Known Member
I need help, and yes, I've searched and there are many responses regarding this, some old and some new, but none answers my questions.

There are hundreds of 3M Scotch Brite products in their product catalog, but I can't find what everyone is using to debur and prep their aluminum.

1. What Scotch Brite pad or paper should I use? All I've seen reference to is "maroon", which is not mentioned anywhere except here. I can't find "maroon" in the 3M catalog. Is there a product number or grit?
2. Is this a pad or paper or ???
3. Where do I buy this magical product? I checked Home Depot yesterday and they don't carry it. I'm sure I could order it online from eBay or Amazon, but I have to know what to buy first.
4. A Scotch Brite wheel is coming with my tools, so I'll have that. Is that a certain type of Scotch Brite wheel?????

I'm sure it's no big deal, and once I have it in my hot little hands, I'm sure I'll see that, but for now I'm at a loss as to what to get or where to get it.

I know what I'll be doing for priming -- solved the hard part -- it's just this little detail that I need help with.

Thanks!

Exactly what I needed. I searched in the 3M product catalog and 7447 did not show up, but when I went to the shop3m website, there it is in all it's glory. Problem solved.

Thanks very much, Jim. :D

Try

the local automotive body supply shops or the auto parts stores in the (limited) body supply areas. Funny, I could not find the maroon/red pads from local building supplies either. Search for 07777 and it should return 3M pads.

Regarding the 6 inch scotch brite wheel - I think the Avery Tools harder one is the 7A hardness, I also got the softer one from Avery too and use it 98% of the time. I have them both mounted to a Harbor Freight double ended buffer. The hard one is "recomended" but it will polish a file pretty quickly.

Good Luck ! Happy Deburring

3M Mysteries

Yes, sometimes impossible to find info on 3M products, there are just too dang many names & numbers for everything.
just FYI, I've seen about 6 colours of scothpads, all the way from white, which if I recall is a non- abrasive pad, just acts as an applicator for other polishers or cleaners etc. then green, grey, etc.
I think Maroon is the MOST abrasive, like 80 grit, but don't quote me on that. Obviously, at some point, all the grit action is gone, and rubbing all day with a washed out maroon pad will hardly scratch a thing, so you grab a new one, and HOLY COW ! it scours the heck out of the thing you just wanted to scuff!

In my experience ...

... the maroon pads are significantly less abrasive than 80 grit. There is another more aggressive Scotch-brite choice in a sortuv tan-gold color that's a good match for 80 grit. I believe - tho' I can't tell for sure - that it's 7440. It is definitely more coarse than the 7447 maroon.

You can get the maroon stuff in a roll from an auto body supply store. I like being able to tear off whatever size piece I need. Like This. But, I don't remember paying that much...

Industrial supply stores like MSC Direct and Travers Tool will have what your looking for if you can't find it at Amazon.

Exactly what I needed.....
I am required by dear wife to keep a box of 7447 on hand at all times. I order it from 3M. Years ago, she discovered the maroon scotchbrite I routinely use to prep aluminum works better than anything else she's used as a pot and pan/dish scrubber. With a pair of scissors, I cut a 6"X 9" pad into 3 equal pieces for kitchen use. ;)

qzj6fm.jpg

There are hundreds of 3M Scotch Brite products in their product catalog, but I can't find what everyone is using to debur and prep their aluminum.

The folks that cater to RV builders (Avery, Cleaveland, Browntool, etc.) have distilled down millions of products to just the ones we need. I've bought plenty from all but sometimes just need to know if the used or discount item I'm considering is the same that everyone else is using to build their RV.

Green?

I've been using a wet soapy green kitchen Scotch Brite pad to lightly scuff and clean the aluminum before priming. Rinse with plenty of water - I like the results a lot.

I am required by dear wife to keep a box of 7447 on hand at all times. I order it from 3M. Years ago, she discovered the maroon scotchbrite I routinely use to prep aluminum works better than anything else she's used as a pot and pan/dish scrubber. With a pair of scissors, I cut a 6"X 9" pad into 3 equal pieces for kitchen use. ;)

qzj6fm.jpg

Good to know, Rick. Maybe that little tip will keep me out of hot water some day! :rolleyes: At least maybe she won't be upset when I have to go out and buy more!!!

Home Depot

My Home Depot carries them in the paint section, or used too, it's been a year or two since I bought some. Lowes does too, I believe, but I will check next time I visit.

My Home Depot carries them in the paint section, or used too, it's been a year or two since I bought some. Lowes does too, I believe, but I will check next time I visit.

I didn't see any in the paint section at my HD, but didn't check Lowes across the street. Maybe they carry it.