tal454

Hey,

Just wondering if there's any big chain hardware stores that sell these? I can't seem to find any. Also is there any other type of finishing/polishing wheels anyone has used? I'm quickly seeing that I would rather spend seconds rather than minutes deburring. Haha

-Tim

Wheels

Not usually. You might find one on Ebay. Look for a 7a in 1" x 6" x (your arbor size). If not most of the aviation suppliers have them. Not cheap but they last forever.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/scotchdeburrwheel.php?clickkey=13732

Other options
Scotch Brite Roloc wheels on an angle grinder work well. They are available at Napa auto parts
Scotch Brite 1" Unitized Wheels on a air grinder work well. You want medium and fine.
http://www.surplussales.com/Tools-Accessories/T-Aabrasives.html
Vixen file for straight edges

Last edited:
There are a zillion varieties of similar wheels out there. Some work OK. Most that appear similar are either too soft and wear quickly or they're too aggressive and can make a mess of your parts fast.

I've been at this since 1987 and my humble recommendation is to pay Avery, or other trusted RV vendor, whatever they're asking and get the right wheel. The money you'd save by trying something "new" isn't worth ruining an important part!!! :mad: or :eek: or :D It's your choice!!!

what grade/grit of the scotchbrite wheels are you guys using?

which would be best for deburring with no "finishing" work? the wheel i have no is too rough and i usually have to go over edges with fine grit sandpaper afterwards and it is very time-consuming. (or my standards are higher than need be.)

There are a zillion varieties of similar wheels out there. Some work OK. Most that appear similar are either too soft and wear quickly or they're too aggressive and can make a mess of your parts fast.

I've been at this since 1987 and my humble recommendation is to pay Avery, or other trusted RV vendor, whatever they're asking and get the right wheel. The money you'd save by trying something "new" isn't worth ruining an important part!!! :mad: or :eek: or :D It's your choice!!!

Second this. I'm pretty good at finding alternative suppliers for all kinds of things. I gave up on these and just buy from Avery. Just bought number three after 17 years.

As for the value of the tool, I still see it as one of the most valuable in the shop many, many years after completion of my plane.

Last edited:
Get Multiple Sizes/Arbors

I have the big wheel (7A) on my bench grinder in the garage, the medium size wheel in an arbor I can chuck into my drill press in the basement and the 1-inch size wheel on a die grinder in the tool box (handy for deburring lightening holes). The wheel on the bench grinder has lasted my entire project, the smaller ones not so much. All purchased through Avery.