If you go to the EAA website and look in the Mutimedia area, they showed how to take the grooves out of the Scotchbrite wheel, I can't remember what grade of sandpaper on a board and run it underneath it for a little bit.

I can show you how I fixed mine, Jeff. I ran into this same problem a few years ago. Here's what I came up with:

100_5285.jpg

Both tools were running, of course, unlike the static picture. Further discussion, along with before and after pics are in my weblog here:

Fixing a Scotchbrite Wheel

Basic gist of the EAA video

I went to Lowes and picked up a belt sander belt of the gnarliest grade of sandpaper they had. I dont remember the number. If you hold the belt against the wheel, all those grooves go away eventually. I needed a couple belts to get mine clean.

We put a video on youtube about how to do it. Look at the bottom of this page.

[Text here that was promotional in nature was removed by the owner of the forums. Non advertisers cannot use the forums as a promotional tool (rule #5 at: http://www.vansairforce.net/rules.htm). Answering a specific, technical question that can be verified with a source is of course allowed - and encouraged!
brandlogo.jpg
]

-

Last edited by a moderator:
Borrowing Bruce's photo here,

100_5285.jpg

I have to say I would not bother to smooth out the wheel at this stage of wear/grooving.

There is a lot of flat surface left to utilize, and to dress it at this stage is just a waste of usable, and expensive, product.

Like Stein would say, my $.02

I have to say I would not bother to smooth out the wheel at this stage of wear/grooving.

I agree. Mine's just about covered in grooves (5 or 6) and I'm starting to notice not having a good flat spot.

Those grooves do come in handy for edge finishing, though. One pass, instead of two.