FlyerJumper

Well Known Member
This may be nothing, but I'm new to this, and after not seeing any signs of it on the parts on other builder's sites I thought I'd ask. While inventorying my Emp/Cone kit last night I noticed a bunch of the parts have score marks in the vinyl at the bend tangents. I'm not sure what caused them, but I peeled back the vinyl to see the effect on the aluminum underneath. Mostly, it appears to be concentrated adhesive making the marks (from the vinyl beeing squished/split?), but cleaning this away reveals some fine scratches (best case) and 'divots' in the metal (worst case).

Has anyone seen this before? I have contacted Van's and sent them the same pictures below. I'll post back when I hear something.

Just curious as to what others have experienced.

marks015qt.jpg

marks024vc.jpg

marks035kb.jpg

This was very common on each of my three sub-kits so far. Unless any scratches are deep, though, just make sure they get smoothed out as you build. If they are deep, I'd call Van's. So far I haven't had any that required replacement. Have fun!

Ditto...I've had a few that looked a whole lot worse than that, a mangled piece of rudder leading edge, scratches, bends etc. I haven't had to return anything yet. All minor stuff, but far from "perfect", whatever that is. Touch-up with scotchbrite or a little tweak here an there to get stuff straight again fixed it all right up.

Thanks for the input...

Thanks for the reassurances. Just wanting to put my mind at ease.

I received a similar reply from Van's:

"Mark, This is very typical of the marks left by the press break.
Just smooth out any especially rough spots and carry on. No problems
structurally. van's"​

Flange/Web bends?

I think I feel better now - I was worried about the "stretch marks" on the inside and outside radius of the flange/web bends. The 8 year old -6 emp kit doesn't have these marks, but the -9 emp I inventoried a few days ago does. I hope this is the sort of thing you're talking about... I'll buff them out as I go.
-Johnny