WSBuilder

Well Known Member
Hope you don't mind a story barely RV related (I'm building one and my hero inspected my project). I had the tremendous honor to fly with LtCol (R) Bill Pedigo in my 8KCAB today. Bill is the grandfather of my daughter's fiancee. The col is 91, flew more than 30 B-24 missions over Germany, made it home alive and flew B-47's around the Cuban Missile Crisis, then B-58's in preparation to visit Moscow, retired after a brief stint in missile silos and operated a flying school out of Bridgeport, TX into the 1970s.
I was impressed how Bill ably ingressed the aft seat. I took off and was at TPA when he said, "I've got the airplane." I scrunched down as much as possible so he had the instruments and he proceeded to expertly manuever all around his old stomping grounds for an hour or so. Despite not having flown for 40 years he maintained altitude within 40 feet and his turns were perfectly coordinated. He commented I had a slight out of trim rudder (been meaning to tend to that) and his turns about a point were perfect as he narrated and showed me where his home used to be before he moved to Arkansas years ago. On a good day I can fly as precisely as he did today. I was humbled by his latent prowess and later, the stories of watching his mission comrades disintegrate all around him while returning with "only" gaping holes in his plane, time after time.
What a piece of history. What an experience that I'll treasure.

Great story Bill. My father in law was a WWII hero too. Not as a pilot, but he went in on Omaha Beach on D Day. He made it through the Bulge and was shot through both legs in the Hurtgen Forest. He was awarded Silver Star, a Bronze Star, and 2 Purple Hearts. Here is a picture from about 5 years ago when he was able to commission He is 97 years old and failing fast. I spoke with him this afternoon on the phone and he was able to ask how my plane was coming. I would love to get him up in the air.

I am glad you had the chance to fly with your hero and see what he could still do. What a great experience - one you and he will remember forever.

Thanks for the story.

Rocky,

If your father in law is anywhere in the CO area we can get both of you up in my -10.

Jim Berry
RV-10

Jim, thanks for the offer. I really appreciate it but he lives in Sacramento. He wouldn't be able to get in a plane now even with help. We brought them out to Colorado 2 years ago and that is the last traveling he has been able to do.

An interesting story about the uniform he has on in the picture. While he was recovering from his leg wounds, he was made mayor of a German town and a former SS tailor made that uniform for him. What I couldn't believe is it still fit!