Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
Did a search but couldn't find anything (might just be my bad search abilities on this somewhat limited search system)...

What are people using to diagram out their electrical systems? What tools are available and are there any recommendations?

I used Microsoft Word...

...Word has a built-in DRAW function that is similar to PowerPoint and also what can be done in Excel.

Just open a new Word Document, set up the page Format (I used 11x17, landscape, grid on, smallest Grid size selected), and created a page of symbols that I would be using.

Then, using the copy / paste function, I could place all the "items" where I wanted them, and connected them with the Draw lines and notes (text box).

I did all the aircraft systems this way...electrical, fuel, brakes, pitot and static,and even a page of maintenance part numbers.

All told, it is an 18 page document. It can be printed "as is" to 11x17 paper, or converted to a pdf and printed as 8.5x11 and kept in the aircraft.

TurboCAD...

...if you want a low cost CAD program you can use for other things.

Old, but legal versions, are available on e-bay for around $20.

It can read/generate DWG and DXF files for talking to professional sources that use the very expen$ive AutoCAD.

I have a set of symbols and a Bob N. Z-11 sheet already made if anyone wants them.

"noelf" makes a good point in his posting, you need a "grid" set and the "snap to grid" feature turned on whatever system you are using. Schematics with almost horizontal/vertical lines look really bad...:eek:

I too like an 11 x 17 drawing size with a 0.2 grid for the lines. Keep the text size to around 0.2 inch and the sheet will be OK when printed on standard letter size paper.

...but TurboCAD is probably overkill if you just want a quick and simple application for schematics only.

Last edited:
Yep, lots of very low cost drafting programs. I use a 1980 version of DRAFT.

I plot to E size drawings with a "craigs list" plotter for free........