Kitfoxbill

I finished installing the doubler per SB. Test fitted aft rib. The second row of rivets line up with the web of the rib.
28b4285824a2d02240e18c5ca3907bc9.jpg
[/IMG]

Replaced rivets with countersink 426's
16fb9c63358e380817e195da6697d84a.jpg
[/IMG]

Angle fits now. Suggest you hold off these rivets until you test fit rib.
39bc5af580726ebe36cf0f2ddc824fad.jpg
[/IMG]

William
RV8A flying Still for sale
RV7 finishing

The shop head gives quite a bit of relief

As it turned out for me, the shop head profile gives plenty of room for the radius of the bend for the new flange... the driven side nudges quite close. I had similar interference when I completed the work on mine. Countersink works but may not be necessary.

Bill,
I had the same problem and no matter how the angle was on the edge of the rivets.

I had two sheet metal guys go over my idea, they said there is no difference in strength but I called Vans and told them also what my plan was and they said good to go.

Here it is
The angle bracket was suppose to fit on the inside of HS 405 but the rivets are in the way.

Put the angle bracket on the outside and you'll find out that the radius will clear the heads of the rivets.

You will have to make a slight bend in the shorter side of the angle to work around the bulge in the lightening hole.

Once you do this the angle will lay flat against HS405

Clamp the the angle per the directions and take the rib back out and rivet it with the AN470 -4 riveting in 4 places you previously drilled

Put the rib HS 405 back in the wing and drill from the fwd side of the spar to thru the angle, take your time. You have previous hole already there to guide you

Do not rivet it in place yet.

Remove HS 405

You will have the same issue with the shop head of the rivets interfering with HS404

You have enough angle left to make two small tabs

Measure the web tab from the edge. To the outside of the tab. It should be about 7 or 8/32nds. This is the distance the web extend on the aft side of HS404 and fits between HS714/710 angles.

Mark where the tab joins HS404

Cut this web tab off like you did the one on HS 405

Using the short side of the angle clamp it to HS 404 on the outside
Measure your distance to the outside back of the web where it lays against the spar. Again it should be 7 or 8/32 roughly. Hope you measured this good before.

Set it lightly into place and make sure your tab will fit between HS 714 and
HS 710. You can cut the edge down on the long side of the angle or leave it.

Use 2 AN 470 -4 rivets and fasten this tab to the HS 404, I used 5/16 inch from the edges of the tab.

Rivet it .

Put HS 404 in place and clecoed it. Now drill thru the tab from the aft side of the spar in 2 places where the original tab went

You now have a stronger intersection of the angles to the spar than what the SB calls for. I had to cut down some rivets to get the right length and use an angle
Head for the rivet gun. I put the manufactured head on the front side of the HS 714/710 but it does not matter since the thickness of the metal is the same. I could not get a bucking bar in square enough on the front side of the spar. What ever you can get to. It was easier for me to hold the bucking bar on the aft spar side and I had a lot of room for the gun out in the open. The rivet does not know the difference when your going through 5 pieces of aluminum. The strength is the same.. Now on two pieces one thin and one thick that's a different situation.

Hope this helps.

Smilin Jack

Last edited: