Tbutler

Good morning!

So we just finished up riveting our top skins on the left wing, and I'm a little unsure of how to deal with this service bulletin with wings that are at our stage of building. Planning to call Vans tomorrow, but wondering what everyone here thinks- should we get put pre-SB aileron brackets on, or take the left wing down and get started on the Right?

Thanks,
Travis

Just my idea

I was planning on installing Sb as i build up wings. But that is just me. Curious what Vans says..

Yeah, I suppose that's probably what we'll end up doing. Easier than doing it after the fact I'm sure. I'll let you know what they say..

Last year Van's performed the SB on my RV-10 quick build wings before shipping them to me. The SB came out just about a week before my wings were scheduled to ship, so I was pleasantly surprised.

I bought the SB kit from Vans and put it on my slow build 7 wings. Had to cut a small amount (45 degree line) from the flange of one of the brackets which lined up exactly with a bottom skin rivet hole. Otherwise there wasn't room for the tail of a pop rivet which is the only way to fasten the bottom skin at that location after rivetting the SB components in.

Good morning!

So we just finished up riveting our top skins on the left wing, and I'm a little unsure of how to deal with this service bulletin with wings that are at our stage of building. Planning to call Vans tomorrow, but wondering what everyone here thinks- should we get put pre-SB aileron brackets on, or take the left wing down and get started on the Right?

Thanks,
Travis

The answer is in the S.B.

It says....

Method of Compliance:
NOTE: Completion of the modifications in this service bulletin as a preventative measure (prior to cracks being detected) on wings that have been fully assembled is not recommended.

If your wings have not been Fully Assembled then it would be a good idea to do during the build (The updated parts were shipped with all kits from the date the S.B. was issued).
If your wings (or one wing) has the hinge brackets riveted on but not the bottom skin(s), then you will have to decide how skilled you are at removing long rivets and balance the decision of doing it now against the risk of damaged rivet holes.

Warning on new build

I just completed this sb during new build of my 9a wings. But i would advise not following the order in the wing build instructions. It is best to put the flap brackets on first, then the airleron brackets. Otherwise the flap rivets are tough to get to. I followed the instructions and now have to figure out the best way to rivet the flap bracket angles since this sb prevents good access.

Last edited: