gerrychuck

Well Known Member
Anyone finding damage to the mounting hardware (or worse) with incorrectly installed rotation stops? I checked my plane today and found that the stop is, in fact, on backwards. So, at the very least I know I need to replace the mounting hardware both for the rotation stop and for the attachment of the nose gear leg to the engine mount to be in compliance with the SB. I assume this basically means bolt, washers and nuts for each end of the mount. I assume that the most likely area that might have sustained damage other than the hardware itself would be the bolt hole at the attachment to the engine mount. If that were to be the case, I assume the fix would be to drill the hole out and install a bigger bolt. I'm guessing that might not be easy. Just wondering if anyone has run into any problems so far with this SB. Also curious as to what the cost of replacing the hardware is, and how to order it; has Van's put together a kit with the necessary pieces? Instructions refer to checking the applicable drawings, but I don't have these and don't know how to access them.

Any thoughts from others? I am a little surprised there hasn't been more discussion of this SB since it came out, especially since they advise this be inspected prior to further flight. I would somehow expect a little more action on the forum considering that in Vans' view the entire "A" model fleet is grounded until this is completed. Hmmm….maybe that's the reason for the radio silence right there! Just a guess….

Last edited:
Inatalled correctly

Mine was installed correctly. At the condition inspection in March, I will remove
the bolt and inspect it. I have always checked that the nut and bolt is tight
at the condition inspection (gear leg to motor mount).