pierre smith

Well Known Member
....a friend has an interesting question that I don't have an answer for.

Since South Africa doesn't have a 51% requirement, there are quite a few RV's already built and more being professionally built there.

The question is this: Would the airplane be able to be registered over here if it were imported by an American buyer after the owner sold it to the new buyer?

Thanks,

Pierre, what is a tech c....green?
In Canada an import experimental has to go thru a complete final inspection and must have at least 100 hours on it.

I don't think that it could be imported over here under Exp-AB rules. It would probably have to the Exp-Exhibition.

To be imported under amateur-built, the aircraft must meet all FAA requirements, including the major portion rule.
I have imported several from Canada but never one from Africa.

It's an EAA designation..

Pierre, what is a tech c....green?

......that our EAA bestows on you after you've met some requirements like having built a couple of airplanes and so on. I was just approved when I put that on my tag line...I was "green...." a newbie.

We look at a builders' projects at the different stages and give advice on how to correct things and ways to properly do certain tasks like baffling, sealing firewall penetrations safely to contain FWF fires and so on. It's a voluntary free service that we provide to builders and leave them a copy of the visit/inspections...the DAR's like to see these at inspection time. It's another way of having a safely built airplane...oftentimes life saving advice.

Regards,

Almost identical Q was asked

by a European. They do not have 51 rule either and are exploring the waters of professional building - RV airframes only. Painted, no engine,no avionics,no interior. They have necessary facilities and skilled riveters, assemblers and painters.

Based on my experience:D with FWF, the airframe is 25% and firewall forward is other 95%... What do you say on that one Mel? Do those guys have a chance?

....a friend has an interesting question that I don't have an answer for.

Since South Africa doesn't have a 51% requirement, there are quite a few RV's already built and more being professionally built there.

The question is this: Would the airplane be able to be registered over here if it were imported by an American buyer after the owner sold it to the new buyer?

Thanks,