RV10 4JF

I am going to weld some sawhorses for my shop. They will have a separate adjustable top rail that will raise and lower above the fixed top rail. Anticipating building an RV10, I would like to know at what height the fuselage and tailcone are setup during construction.

The idea for the adjustable top rail is that it is a feature that I can use on the various projects that I work on. As a solo builder for the RV10, my thinking is that they would be handy for fuselage-tailcone mating and also for wing attachment. The adjustable top rail will allow me to raise or lower and also to rotate a little. Is this a good or bad idea for the 10?

JF

You'll need to get horses that will go up to 37" for the tail cone. Unless you really feel like welding a pair up, I picked up and adjustable set at the HD for around $50. I even used them to mount the gear and do the wheel pants/fairings. They fold and go in the corner when not in use but, the answer is 37" It's called out in the plans If I remeber right. I built the entire fuse on a 24" high rolling stand. You only need the horses for one step in the tailcone. I did mount mine solo for match driling the first time...took 2 hours hanging the cone from the ceiling rolling the forward fuse to it. When I had help getting ready to rivet it took 15 minutes.

Last edited:
Rick,

Thanks for the info, it is just what I needed. My sawhorses are custom made for my shop. I have gone through a few wooden ones. If these metal ones work out, I will make a total of six.

Thanks again, JF

JF,

I hope this catches you in time!! The horses need to be 38" (finger slipped on 7 instead of 8). One thing though, the only thing you use them for is to hold the bottom skin while attaching the bulkheads. Once that is done and the side skins are attached I can't ever remember using them again until I installed the gear.

If you don't have access to plans yet, visit Tim Olsons site at www.myrv10.com He has discussion plans there you can review, kinda nice when your at work and don't have access and need to discuss something.