ops_geek

Hi all-

I'm doing my due diligence before I take a leap into a kit and was wondering how much overhaul work can be done by the builder (which would be me)?

I was also wondering if it's feasible to buy all the yellow-tagged pieces/parts (case, crank, cam, pistons, cylinders, etc) and build your own engine...you know...like an eBay special :eek: . Any cost savings there?

Am I too hopeful on saving money on power? Should I just order my sub-kits and have 25k worth of financing lined up at the end? That seems like a crappy option...

Thanks for any advice...

Geek out. :eek:

ECI Kit...

ops_geek said:
Hi all-

I was also wondering if it's feasible to buy all the yellow-tagged pieces/parts (case, crank, cam, pistons, cylinders, etc) and build your own engine...you know...like an eBay special :eek: . Any cost savings there?

Thanks for any advice...

Geek out. :eek:

That's the description of an ECI kit engine.... :)
....about $13K from AERO without accessories....

gil in Tucson

It is possible to save major $$$. Some risk, but doable. I have a RV-6 friend who did just that. He found a midtime engine for <$4000, went through it with the help of a A&P. Spent another $3K and has a great O-320. He built his Standard build RV-6 for under $30000. If you get to Helena, you can see it (maybe ride in it).

Welcome to VAF. I'm near Helena, MT but am from Kalispell and have a lot at Cabin Creek Landing (97MT) in Marion.

Absolutely

Welcome Geek,
Many of us have done something similar. Find a Lyc overhaul manual and a willing A@P and do it properly with all parts inspected/yellow tagged and within tolerances, which means owning an inside/outside micrometer or having access to one.

Bear in mind that just because an engine has 2000 hours or so on it, doesn't mean it HAS to have an overhaul. Many of these Lycs go close to 3000 hours and still have good compression.

If you do your own overhaul and you're not an A@P the engine can be re-tagged (the data plate removed) with you coming up with a serial number and model and it will no longer be a certified engine.....it'll be "Experimental" but that's OK too. Ours is a Smith/Morgan 0-360 and the serial number is the same as the airframe.

Regards,

Rob,
Pierre is right about not worrying about total time. If the engine has been cared for, it will run for many hours beyond TBO. I bought my O-320 with 2500 hrs in a flight school in Arizona. I installed it onto my -6 and flew it another 300 hrs. When I tore it down for overhaul, all parts met serviceable tolerances. I spent $9,000 on the OH, but that included all new cylinders, custom forged pistons, roller rocker arms, new Sensenich prop and extension.

Just another data point for you. I agree that overhauling yourself can be done successfully, saving yourself some big $$. But care must be taken to be sure you are the right person to be doing this kind of thing. There are those who underestimate their abilities, those who know about what their abilities truly are, and those who overestimate. Concurrently, there are quite a few ways to overhaul a Lycoming incorrectly, even when seemingly doing the right thing.

Find yourself some good advice givers. Ask lots of questions. Read lots of material on the subject. Get parts and overhaul manuals. Get the right tools. Find some good shops to work with on inspecting and servicing your components.

I did the engine on my plane with the help of one very knowledgable, practical old A&P friend. The engine had unknown hours before (previous owner gave me no logs out of liability concerns). It proved to be a pretty darn good engine. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again when the time comes.

I am convinced one can find a relatively low-cost engine and overhaul it/teardown inspect it in a thorough, safe manner and spend 1/4 to 1/2 of what a new engine costs. You just have to look around, ask around, be patient and maybe a little lucky.