rfinch

Well Known Member
...buying your RV and related tools and such. Perhaps this topic already exists as a thread but I'll start new ;)

1. For those big purchases from Vans or tool suppliers, you probably use a credit card with cash-back or travel miles. I found a Citibank Card that offers 5% cash back the first 3 months (1% thereafter). Since one can easily spend $20,000 to $30,000 in the startup period with QB kits and tooling up, it's worth the slight trouble of applying for another credit card like this one. Although my card came with a $6000 limit, they don't seem to mind if I pay extra to the card, temporarily generating a credit (positive) balance just before a big purchase, and then still giving me 5% cash back.

2. Buy used quality tools. Sure, not a revelation, just a reminder that good used tools can be had from eBay or asking on VAF's classified ads forum. Is eBay trustworthy? All I can say is that over several years, buying about 15 items from very different vendors (US, Hong Kong, Singapore) I've never had a problem. So far, from eBay or VAF's classifieds, I've bought a used Avery C-Frame, Sioux drill, and pneumatic rivet squeezer. I'll also probably buy a used rivet gun and other tools.

3. Buy new cheap tools. Nearby Sacramento has a Harbor Freight and it's a hoot to wander the aisles looking at the cheap stuff. Problem is I always load up a basket or shopping cart with items of marginal use. But for things where high quality is not important, the cheap stuff can serve and save you money.

Last edited:
and for us Canadians, buy as much as possible (or convert as many dollars as possible) while our dollar is roughly on-par with the USD! I converted a few grand when our dollar was a few cents higher than the USD :)