N941WR

Legacy Member
I was running some numbers from a trip we took on Saturday and thought I would share them with you:

By AIR:
Distance: 241.3 statute miles
Time: 1:40
Average MPG: 34
Fuel used: 7.1 gallons
Average hourly fuel burn: 4.3 GPH
Average ground speed: 145 MPH (Strong head winds)
Fuel Cost: $30.18 (@ $4.25/gal)

Average cruise power setting: 65% ~ 88 HP

Here is where it gets really interesting...

I checked with MapQuest to get the numbers on the trip, had we driven, which we had done a number of times. Here are those numbers:

Distance, if driven (Map Quest): 342 SM
Average time to drive: 5:28
Average ground speed: 62 MPH

If trip is taken with Nora's Honda:
AVG MPG : 24 MPG
Estimated fuel: 14.25 Gallons
Estimated fuel cost: $44.18 (@ $3.10/gal)

If trip is taken in my Truck:
AVG MPG: 19 MPG
Estimated fuel: 18 Gallons
Estimated fuel cost: $55.80 (@ $3.10/gal)

I'm curious how clean my O-290 runs with the duel EI w/ the wasted spark ignition and leaned out...

With burning that much less fuel than either of our vehicles, taking the RV might have just been the "green" thing to do.

Good numbers Bill.

One thing jumps out at me though, you may want to get that Honda looked at. 24mpg:( Our civic gets 41mpg;)

Brian,

Nora drives a '98 Honda Trucklet AKA CRV and with the AWD, 24 MPG is about as good as it'll get when driving through the mountains on the way to Grandmother's house, which is what this trip is based on.

Last edited:
I was just ribbing you. Plus mileage like that helps justify the RV, not too mention to fun factor.

Not a problem Brian.

But it looks like you should drive that trip and not fly...

If trip is taken in hydroguy2's Honda Civic:
AVG MPG: 41 MPG
Estimated fuel: 8.3 Gallons
Estimated fuel cost: $25.86 (@ $3.10/gal)

Last edited:
Yeah but, what's the fun in being a mindless drone plodding along with the other ground pounders. :D We flew a C-182 gas guzzler for breakfast the other day....just for the fun of it.

must get RV flying

But it looks like you should drive that trip and not fly...

If trip is taken in hydroguy2's Honda Civic:
AVG MPG: 41 MPG
Estimated fuel: 8.3 Gallons
Estimated fuel cost: $25.86 (@ $3.10/gal)
I'd gladly pay an extra $5 to save nearly 4 hours;)

I don't know why I stay awake at night thinking about such things, but I do...

When you figure in the material, energy, etc. involved in building an airplane vs. building a car, even HyrdraGuy's Civic, I wonder what the net-net it the "environmental impact" of taking the RV over the car might be. It is possible that the RV is significantly more environmentally friendly than the car. More so, if I were burning auto fuel.

That would be some interesting numbers to know. Anyone?

OK, I can go back to sleep now.

re; MPG

Brian,

Nora drives a '98 Honda Trucklet AKA CRV and with the AWD, 24 MPG is about as good as it'll get when driving through the mountains on the way to Grandmother's house, which is what this trip is based on.

My wife drives a '97 CRV. 22-24 is about the best it gets. What's interesting though, is I have '97 Isuzu Hombre' (AKA Chevy S10) that I wound up with in a trade that makes 24-25 mpg.

Marshall Alexander

Nice numbers! I probably won't go with a 290, but that's motivation!

Good numbers Bill.

One thing jumps out at me though, you may want to get that Honda looked at. 24mpg:( Our civic gets 41mpg;)

I typically get between 41 and 44 MPG, but my 90-day mileage average is actually low now because of winter gas and cold weather. In the winter I'm well into the mid 40's. :)

I keep a MPG log here: http://www.gassavers.org/garage/viewgaslog/12?

Last edited:
I don't know why I stay awake at night thinking about such things, but I do...

When you figure in the material, energy, etc. involved in building an airplane vs. building a car, even HyrdraGuy's Civic, I wonder what the net-net it the "environmental impact" of taking the RV over the car might be. It is possible that the RV is significantly more environmentally friendly than the car. More so, if I were burning auto fuel.

That would be some interesting numbers to know. Anyone?

OK, I can go back to sleep now.

Not to dredge up and old thread...but....ok, I'm doing it anyway:

In terms of the environmental impact of Building an RV versus a Civic, here's how I see it;

Lets say that the RV engine and prop have the same environmental impact as the Gearbox and Engine on the civic. This is probably generous to the civic; The RV doesn't have: As much wiring (so there's less copper used, solder, silicon, etc), Transmission oil, A clutch, gears, antifreeze (nasty stuff, that).

As far as the structure of the two; a few hundred pounds of aluminum sheet, produced in the eastern US or california, shipped to Vans, cut up, kitted up, and shippedto the builder. No robots, no welding, no aircondtioning for the break room, etc. All the for The RV versus a couple thousand pounds of steel, aluminum, rubber, welds, body sealer, etc. Parts built all over the world, shipped to Japan, assembled, then shipped to the US.

Interior and acessories: The RV has a couple seats, covered in slightly flame retardant material, alot of gages and instruments that require at least some nasty materials. That's about it, except maybe the proseal in the tanks and firewall. The civic's interior is full of NASTY foams, plastics, chemicals, power windows, almost as many instruments, computers, etc. It's got actuators for the power seats (ok, it's a nice civic), heated rear windows, etc.

I think the ONLY advantage that the civic has, is the emissions controls. I wonder though, if the increased emissions associated with the building the Civic don't come a long way towards making up this difference. You'd have to sort out emissions per mile for both vehicles. CO2 is probabally a wash, but ground level pollutants (NOX, Ozone, etc) have to be alot higher in the RV.....