Captain Avgas

Well Known Member
I'd like to purchase a new portable satellite phone and a new audio panel that can be interconnected so that communications can be conducted though my headset for off shore flight.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how easy (or difficult) it might be to achieve this.

I have a thought on Globestar Sat. Phones. Junk.

I worked in the bush in Northern Ontario and 100% of the time I attempted to make use of the sat phone it did NOT work. This included using the print off sheets for specific times of use for maximum satellite coverage.

There were places where the sat phone did not work and I had to resort to pay for long distance on my cell phone vs. the company sat phone.

I say invest in a good cell phone provider that gives maximum coverage in areas that you fly most frequent. Having said that I have no used any other sat phones other than globestar. Call me bias ;)

Here is how I did it

I have one and use it. I have a Motorola Iridium phone. Don't even think about a Globalstar phone, they are having problems and are very unreliable. At least according to a couple of guys I know that say it might as well be used as a door stop cause it sure isn't a reliable connection.

I put in a PS Engineering PMA8000B Audio Panel. You can use a 1/8 jack and plug it in the 1/8 in jack in the front of the AP. There is a "TEL" button. Plug it in, press TEL and make your call. I have found the standard antenna does not work well without a good view of the sky, but that is not a problem in a RV.

It has worked for me every time I have tried to use it. I don't see why you could not wire it into the panel directly, but this was easy and it is a very good AP. Good Luck.

I'd like to purchase a new portable satellite phone and a new audio panel that can be interconnected so that communications can be conducted though my headset for off shore flight.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how easy (or difficult) it might be to achieve this.

Bob, I manufacturer devices that will connect cell phones into existing audio systems. I'm sure that they would work for satellite phones as well, plus your iPod. Only minimal modifications are required to your existing system.

They are designed to built-in and are extremely light and compact.

See here: www.vx-aviation.com. You are looking for the ASX-2B.
Thanks, Vern.

ASX-2B-product.jpg

Sat Phone

Bob,

If you would consider a Qualcomm Globalstar phone, despite all the negative comments, that has been modified to connect to your headsets, I have one that I used several years ago with Anywhere Map. Really good deal! Send me a PM.

Ken