tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
Sorry if this has been discussed before, I did not find it in a search of the forums.

The following article which I just read in the RV hotline, sets forth the FAA plans to mandate satellite navigation in some airspace by 2020.

http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=9632

I am all for safetly, but I have to wonder what the cost will be to equip our RV's with Automatic Dependent Surveillance Broadcast (ADS-B) systems. How should that affect the planning of panels that will be used that far in the future? What exactly is this ADS-B equipment and how much will it cost?

Does anyone have any insight into this issue?

Right now, Garmin is the only manufacturer of ADS-B equipment for GA airplanes. If you want to play now, you'd buy their GDL-90 UAT box plus an MFD to control it. Last time I checked, the combo was running around $18k.

The FAA is betting that other manufacturers will step up and develop more options for ADS-B avionics now that they've issued the draft mandate. But they have such a poor track record of following through with technology implementation that many big avionics houses have been reluctant to commit resources to something that may never sell.

Unless you live in an area that has TIS-B coverage now (not TIS coverage from radar) and really want traffic broadcasts, I'd wait as long as possible to install any ADS-B hardware. If the FAA does get its...uh, stuff...together and manufacturers start making avionics, the price will almost certainly come down and the selection will be better.

Dave

It is NOT satellite based navigation

It is more surveillance. I just finished reading the 100 page draft (?) NPRM and I will be writing a strong rebuttal that it is NOT needed for GA aircraft. The benefits are almost entirely for airlines. It would be required to enter Class A, B and C airspace and any altitude above 10,000' MSL and within 30 NM of some (maybe all) Class B airports.

Some of the AOPA comments saying that it is favored by 75% of GA pilots if they get free weather are unsupported since the cost will be enormous. Just the ADS-B Out (you don't get anything in return) range from around $4000 to over $17,000. To get anything (traffic, weather or other indo) requires ADS-B In which has no costs associated with it.....yet.

This is not something that I will support and once others read the details and see that it really just benefits (maybe) airlines, all of GA should oppose having his mandated for them. If you want it....go for it. But don't force this costly FAA field of dreams on me.