fred

I am planning on flying my 7A to L.A. this summer from Florida. Would like any info on best routes, stops ,etc. Also after looking at the LA terminal area chart the best and easiest way and time of day to get into Santa Monica VFR from over Blythe. Any info on the Santa Monica airport and its FBOs would also be appreciated. Thanks Fred

Under class Bravo

Wow, you are brave, SMO is under the class B, I'm going to John Wayne (orange county) next week, it's outside the class B but I'll let you know how that turns out.
Larry
RV4 builder now flyer 300 + hours

It's so easy

There are 4 transitions through the LA Class B airspace. See the back of your terminal chart.

I "commute" to Santa Monica (from Chino) every so often. If it's VFR, I almost always fly direct to downtown LA, 2000' or so, then turn to follow the 10 freeway, which takes you right to SMO. VFR, no need to mess with Class B. Just call tower from downtown LA and they'll usually just have you proceed straight in to 21.

But if you're up for a Class B transition, try the Special Flight Rules Area. Fly toward Torrance (TOA) and pick up the SMO (110.8) 132 degree radial. Fly at 4500' direct to the VOR. Squawk 1201, and monitor 128.55. Announce position reports as often as you like, and keep your eyes peeled. I recommend flashing your landing lights if you've got 'em.

After crossing over the VOR, squawk 1200 again and call SMO tower, tell 'em where you're at. You'll have a lot of altitude to dump, and a big left descending 270 will take you down to right downwind to 21.

Again, I usually just fly VFR over downtown at 2000' and keep it simple. But don't be afraid of LA Class B. It's not a problem to use SFRA, Shoreline, Mini, or Hollywood Park transitions if you ever need to.

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
http://www.rvproject.com

Florida to LA

lhawkins said:
Wow, you are brave, SMO is under the class B, I'm going to John Wayne (orange county) next week, it's outside the class B but I'll let you know how that turns out. Larry RV4 builder now flyer 300 + hours
My only advise is get a current VFR terminal chart for LA and sectional. I assume you will be VFR? Remember VFR in LA can be real poor from smog. Other suggestions are great, but might suggest instead of threading thru 2oo foot class B-D sandwich, just fly lower and call the controlling ATV (tower, approach) and just ask. A little more talking but "Ask and Ye shall receive." As was also recommended, IFR would be better (easier).

Larry, WOW what is the big deal flying in, around or under a Class B airspace? Brave? Really no big deal, especially now a days with GPS. BTW, John Wayne is a commercial airport served by heavy Jet airline service. I would be more likely not to go to an airport in my RV-7 because it serves Airlines, than for lying under class B airspace. Although airline traffic and large commercial airports do not intimidate me; they can be a good place to land with good (jet) FBOs with lots of service (rental cars, transportation to hotels, computers, weather, free coffee, etc..). Of course consider landing fees, possible higher tie-down / fuel fees (not always) and other factors, like landing restrictions. There is a big difference between LAX and PDX (Portland Oregon) or JFK vs. RDU (Raleigh/Durham NC). Cheers George

Last edited:
John Wayne (orange county) landing story

This happened about 15 years ago I would be surprised if they still request this from landing aircraft.

"There I was?

...on short final for 19L, three hundred feet AGL when I get the call from the tower, "Archer 34R (or whatever it was) execute an immediate 360 turn, cleared to land 19L."

In goes the power, around goes the Archer, out comes the power, down we go to an uneventful landing.

They wanted the spacing so an airliner could taxi across the end of 19L to depart on the longer 19R.

I got so used to odd ball requests from ATC out there this one didn't even phase me.

Probably best to go in there IFR but ...

If I were going in there from Blyth VFR I would come across Blyth, Thermal, Palm Springs high, 8,500 or 10,500 and call Palm Springs approach (TRSA) as you are approaching that area just as a friendly call to help avoid rapid climbing, descending and squeezing through the pass traffic. After they let you go and you are through Banning Pass I always dropped down to 6,500 to stay above the class Cs in the Riverside area which run up to 5,500 and below the Class B later in this route. I would follow V388 (including the dog leg especially if it is hazy) to the Paradise VOR then V186 toward Van Nuys VOR. Before you get to VNY you will cross over Burbank and there will be some low mountains off to your left between you and Santa Monica (which has a VOR right on the field). Here is the tricky part. The top of the Burbank class C is 4,800 ft and the base of the Class B is 5,000 ft where they share a common boundary over those mountains. At any time between Burbank and Vay Nuys you can head for Santa Monica but you have to start your descent so that you are still above 4800 and below 5,000 when you cross the boundary. I usually start my descent so that I am very sure I am at 4,900, precisely, a mile or so before passing under the Class B floor then I drop after passing the crest of the mountains to get a little breathing room under the Class B floor. Santa Monica is a Class D so the airspace ceiling is low. The airspace is VERY BUSY and you have to be as sharp as you can be but it can be done by the book VFR without talking to anyone but Santa Monica.

One option after reaching Paradise would be to turn right to the Pamona VOR. The Pamona VOR sits on a hill just before the Brackett Airport and on the other side of it you will see the I-210 freeway running along the base of the mountains. If you cross over the "210" and turn left to head west again it will keep you outside the LAX Class B airspace. You will pass over El Monte Class D twelve miles west of the Pamona VOR. As you continue west the 210 runs fairly straight for a few miles then a low mountain comes up and the freeway splits with the 210 going off to the right and the 134 jogging to the left. The Rose Bowl is off to the left at this point and Burbank is on the other side of the mountain. After this the process is the same as above. If you don't feel good about your chances of getting in, turn around and head back East.

Often in the mornings, there is a low stratus layer over the coastal airports that is usually burned off by noon and you can bet on landing toward the ocean so late in the day the sun angle can almost blind you. An early afternoon arrival would probably be the best time.

You sound comfortable with the idea so I assume it won't be a problem but remember any mistake one pilot makes, hurts us all more than ever these days. This is all from a good ole boy in the middle of the country so take it with a big dose of salt. Be careful out there.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
rv country after palm springs

as soon as you clear banning pass, you're in RV country. Every single airport has RV's. Redlands, Riverside, Chino and Cable.

Don't you fly on by without looking us up out here. Stop at Flo's at Chino for the greasiest (sp?) hamburger anywhere. or let us know when you're at Santa monica.

mark