SeanB

Well Known Member
Hi. Sanding inside of cowl in preparation of PPG primer/sealer, then 1/8” fiberfrax, then foil on bottom exhaust pattern. As I sand out imperfections and provide key for proper adhesion of described products, it is difficult to get the fiberglass sanded uniformly. There are peaks and valleys in the honeycomb regions. No problem on peaks. Valleys remain glossy. I imagine sanding much more to resolve the gloss, but am concerned about breaking thru the glass layer to honeycomb of the peaks. How did you do this? What is proper? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7586.jpg
    IMG_7586.jpg
    511.2 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_7587.jpg
    IMG_7587.jpg
    578.4 KB · Views: 90
Cowl

Hi. Sanding inside of cowl in preparation of PPG primer/sealer, then 1/8” fiberfrax, then foil on bottom exhaust pattern. As I sand out imperfections and provide key for proper adhesion of described products, it is difficult to get the fiberglass sanded uniformly. There are peaks and valleys in the honeycomb regions. No problem on peaks. Valleys remain glossy. I imagine sanding much more to resolve the gloss, but am concerned about breaking thru the glass layer to honeycomb of the peaks. How did you do this? What is proper? Thanks!

I didn't try to get the valleys roughed but you could use scotchbrite on a random orbital.
I skimmed with neat epoxy. Sanded that rough. Sprayed twoncoats of 2K White epoxy primer.

Thanks, Rocky! Things are getting close! I have a GoPro Max 360 that I’m still learning. Trying to figure out the best position to mount it at the end of the boom. I also have to figure out mounting points under the wing. I used piano hinge for the tips, so no screws available. Thinking of installing some nutplates into the inboard hinge’s flange. Or, maybe some doublers that tie in to a rib. Hope I can get some great footage, like yours! Also, have a Garmin VIRB I will mount inside to get instrument panel and forward view.