Geico266

Well Known Member
I'm looking for good vacation info on San Antonio, TX. We are looking for a nice winter escape for 3-4 days and need to find a place to land, tie down or rent a hanger, buy fuel, courteous cars, B&B suggestions, hotels, etc.

We plan on the River Walk and The Alamo of course, but any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

Hi
We spent the night at the Hangar Hotel in Fredricksburg,north of San Antonio over Christmas Very nice hotel and enjoyed our stay.

Haven't flown in to SA yet, but lived there a bit in the early 90's... We went on a mini vacation a few years ago, and stayed at a B&B in the King William historic district called Brackenridge House. We liked it. (My better half is Vegan, and they made special food just for her.)

It is a bit of walk from the main River Walk, but that was intentional... (Two blocks to the river, and then about a mile North via the river walkway to the main loop.) Some parts of SA still seem a little sketchy, but we did that walk at night without much worry. There are also some nice hotels right on the river too, if you would rather be right in the action.

One nice thing about SA, is that beyond excellent Mexican food, they have some really cool new and fusion type dishes. One of our favorites was Soluna. Also at a random River Walk place we ordered awesome interpretation of "queso" that involved a slab of roasted cheese.

When walking the river, if you spot the Hyatt Regency, follow the water flowing all the way through the middle of it, and you'll pop out at street level in front of the Alamo. ...and also the Botanical Gardens and the like are nice, if you are interested in that kind of thing.

Have fun!

Last edited:
San Antonio is......

my old home town. I usually fly into KBAZ, New Braunfels. Nice people and they generally have a hail shed open for about $7 a night. If you wanted to get close to downtown, Stinson is the airport to use. Just blocks from downtown. I have never flown into Stinson, but have been there. Pretty nice & historic. Have a great time.

River Walk

was closed last week for dredging when we were in SA for our Convention. Be sure and check first when it opens again. Alamo is always fun to go thru.

my old home town. I usually fly into KBAZ, New Braunfels. Nice people and they generally have a hail shed open for about $7 a night. If you wanted to get close to downtown, Stinson is the airport to use. Just blocks from downtown. I have never flown into Stinson, but have been there. Pretty nice & historic. Have a great time.

Which FBO do you suggest?

San Antonio River Walk

About a week ago the River Walk was an empty smelly ditch. I was told it was undergoing annual draining and maintenance.

We used Stinson a few years ago. Cab fare to the Riverwalk was reasonable and a rental car is not needed downtown - most hotels seem to charge for parking. Stay downtown and you are in the center of everything.

Bus service around the Riverwalk area is good and frequent, and the walking distances are not bad anyway.

It was hot and sticky in mid-July when we went, it's on my list for another trip in more reasonable weather...:)

Larry
There is a lot to do in the San Antonio area golf, theater, spurs, hockey, river walk, brew pubs. If it is summer time there great rivers up in New Braunfels, I?m a fire fighter there by the way. There is also lots of RVS in the area. I live at TE86 Heritage Airpark just east of San Antonio. We have 4 on our little airpark and two under construction including the RV 10 I am building. You are welcome to stop by if you?re up flying around. Geigers are welcome at my house. My wife?s maiden name was Geiger after all.
Have fun

Ditto on what Chad said.........

there are many things to do in New Braunfels. I live in Conroe (north of Houston), but keep my Goldwing stashed in a hangar in San Marcos, so I can fly in, hop on my bike and enjoy that area. Best time to come is May or June, maybe March or April. I just flew in there yesterday to have lunch with my mom. It was about 60F winds 150@8, wanted to stay but today will be a different story.

Larry if you get a chance you might want to come by KCXO, we have about 30 RV's, always something going on everyday. Might even be able to find you a place to stay.

Hanger Hotel

Hanger Hotel is a great place to spend the night.

If staying downtown tourist area Hilton Palacio Del Rio is great location.

Acenar is great dinner spot on riverwalk.

If your going to fly out a bit hit Brenham for lunch or drop into Llano and get the courtesy car and grab some bar b que.

When are you making the trip down ?