Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
Not necessarily. I recently installed an Air Hawk tire on the right MLG as a field repair for replacement of an Air Trac tire that went flat on landing. The tire worked fine and it is a higher grade tire than the one I had been using. It looked so good that I decided to buy two new ones as spares to have on hand. A couple of days ago After a test flight I was working with the tower and a Goodyear blimp to accommodate our landings with as little time waste as practical. The blimp pilot was ahead of me for the airport but he said that if he had to go around he would have to cross the runway instead of remaining east of it as instructed. They agreed that he should do a 360 and I should go ahead and do a short approach and get out of his way. I did that but put it on a little firmly. No problem noted until I pulled the plane out for a test today. I heard a noise coming from the right MLG. Close examination showed the custom subfairing was broken. The tire shape is totally different and the sharp cornered Air Hawk had taken a serious bite out of the fiberglass.

IMG_6021.jpg

I need that close fit to the smooth rounded edges of the Air Trac for speed so I will be buying a new one.

Just for information.

Bob Axsom