Sid Lambert

Well Known Member
Anyone with a tall gear RV-4 have a rough guess as to what their clearance is just behind the tire with Sam James pants? I am setting mine up and am not getting any clearance with the suggested numbers. With 1.5" clearance at the tail of the pant and using the suggested axle marking my clearance just behind the wheel is less than 1/8". Should I just raise the axle holes 3/4"?

Wheel Pants

Sid:

I would raise the whole thing about 3/4in. Keep the pants longitudinally level with the airplane center line though.

I installed Sam's Wheel Pants as per instructions on my -8 and I'm afraid to land on tall or rough grass and I've scuffed the bottoms several times going off pavement onto grass. In fact I generally stop the plane and push it off the pavement backwards to keep from scuffing the aft bottoms.

The plane is probably faster this way though, since there is almost no tire showing!

Mine are 1/2" above the height suggested in the instructions. That leaves me an inch or inch and a half of ground clearance. They are very low...