Jconard

Well Known Member
Has anyone installed the Sam James Wheelpants on an RV? Wonder if there is any experience with performance and installation. Would be interested if the Fairings Etc fairings would still work.

I updated my old flat side style pants with Sam James pants. Just throw the instructions away. The measurements and brackets are best made with common sense and a good ruler.

I ended up leveling the longeron on the aircraft and then leveling the wheel pants with about 3/4" ground clearance right behind the tire. I would also suggest just making new fairings as you'll end up with a tighter fit and about the same amount of work.

On the RV-7 I would use Van's pants. They include brackets and offer more ground clearance. The RV-4 and -3 just look funny with the giant Van's pants on.

Hey Sid....You got any pics? I like to see the installation, have often thought about SJ wheel fairings for my -4 if they made a good improvement.

Glenn Wilkinson

The advantage of the Van's wheelpants is that they come with the brackets. With the SJ pants, you have to make the brackets, which means sourcing some .063 plate and a bending brake. Easier for some than others.

Sid,

When you changed the wheel pants to the SJ, did you see any performance differences? I plan on changing mine on my RV4 from the older flat sided ones. I would expect the pressure recovery pants from Vans would give a performance increase base on what others have said so that is my first choice...unless of course the SJ give it as well. I agree the larger Vans pants look a little big on the -4.

I don't have an great pictures of it but I'll post the ones I have.

I picked up somewhere around 5-7 MPH but I also cleaned up all the other fairings at the same time. I also picked up about 80 RPM but I have the 2600 RPM prop so I can't really use it. I can run 2690 at 5000' now.

Kyle is right about the brackets but they are not that hard to make. The other thing is I think Van's glass is a little cleaner and requires less pin hole filing but you'll end up doing it on both styles.

SmallDSCN0270.jpg

SmallDSCN0265.jpg

Last edited: