lostpilot28

Well Known Member
Does anyone know if it's possible to use a Sam James "Shorty" Cowl on a -7 with a Superior IO-360? I know their website says you have to use the standard (long) cowl, but has anyone ever used the Shorty? Thanks!

I used the stock vans cowl with the SJ plenum and "rings". Horizontal induction-punched a hole in the front and installed an airflow performance butterfly on the front of a bendix injection system. Required a good bit of fiberglass work to modify the cowling, but CHTs are low, and so is drag! I can send you some pictures if you'd like. I didn't want to use the prop extension required for the long cowl, especially with a constant speed prop. Its a lot of weight to move 4" forward.

I did the same thing as Dave but also got Sam to make a layup of the inlets about 5" back and I grafted those to my Vans cowl. I also used the Airflow Performance ram air intake. As Dave said its a lot of work but it came out great. I'll have to let you know how it works tomorrow or Sunday as its ready for the maiden flight but the weather is iffy tomorrow. Sonny I'll show you how I did it if you come over Sunday. Don

Last edited:
Yes you can, here is photographic proof

I have a short James cowl with a superior io360, vertical induction:

RV6APostBaffCutTopCowl.jpg

SJ plenum and Vans cowl

Don and Dave,

I've been wondering about this combo too. Did you mate the SJ plenum to the stock inlets on the Vans cowl, or modify the cowl to fit the round rings?

Pictures?

Bevan
RV7A wiring

Don and Dave,

I've been wondering about this combo too. Did you mate the SJ plenum to the stock inlets on the Vans cowl, or modify the cowl to fit the round rings?

Pictures?

Bevan
RV7A wiring

I know a little about Don's build and also know he has computer issues, so here is a pic of his cowl. He has a SJ plenum underneath, a Vans horizintal cowl. To this he has mated the SJ inlet rings and induction tube.
cid_024b01c816b7939a535029fa1848dch.jpg

hope this helps

My cowl looks remarkably similar! I modified the stock cowl to accept the SJ rings with the plenum below. 30" of mp is a glorious thing!

Long cowl....

98HK said that he didn't want to move the prop forward 4", especially with a CS. Given the CG issues with a 7a, wouldn't this be a benefit?

Thanks,

98HK said that he didn't want to move the prop forward 4", especially with a CS. Given the CG issues with a 7a, wouldn't this be a benefit?

Thanks,

It would benefit the aircraft's weight and balance, but there is an undocumented rumor (for lack of better terms) that if you put a 4" extension on the front of an RV with a C/S prop that you can't go over 4 G's with it. Something about the weight of the prop putting too much strain on the flange I'm guessing. I think someone on VAF (Frankh?) has this combo and has gone over that limit with no ill effects.

any data out there?

Anyone have CG data they can share? Anyone have an IO360, long cowl and a Hartzell BA prop? Where is your BEW CG? Data, Baby, Data!!! Help us out!:D

Correction

I used the stock vans cowl with the SJ plenum and "rings". Horizontal induction-punched a hole in the front and installed an airflow performance butterfly on the front of a bendix injection system. Required a good bit of fiberglass work to modify the cowling, but CHTs are low, and so is drag! I can send you some pictures if you'd like. I didn't want to use the prop extension required for the long cowl, especially with a constant speed prop. Its a lot of weight to move 4" forward.

Your not moving it 4" forward...only 2 5/8ths...(Mine is 2.25")

Frank

W&B

Data is in the airplane...The reason I don't have it is cus I NEVER do a W&B calc cus the 2.25" extension means you can't reach the aft limit.

Its a non issue no matter how you load it.

MY EFIS shows a max of +5 and -1.8Gs ......Thw +5 was when I was a little too agressive, no real reason to go this high in normal acro.

Prop didn't fall off...yet..:)

Frank