ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
I have a SJ Cowl with a plenum and I'm getting closer to starting the installation. Is there enough bang for the buck to start with Van's baffle kit? At almost $300 I'm not sure there would be...especially since the SJ Cowl comes with templates.

Also, I've heard that doing the standard baffles with a Van's cowl is a bit tedious. I'd think that with a plenum and templates this should be much easier. Thoughts?

Finally, what's a good way to cut these baffles? I'm especially wondering about the curves at the cylinders. Is there a good bit available for a Dremmel? Do you just cut with snips and sand to fit?

Thanks

The Van's baffle kit will save you a LOT of time. You use almost all of the pieces and it comes with all of the hardware for the install. I used it for my James plenum. I guaranty that trying to cut out all the pieces using the James templates will be frustrating and time consuming and will not come out as nice as the Vans pieces. Don

The Van's baffle kit will save you a LOT of time. You use almost all of the pieces and it comes with all of the hardware for the install. I used it for my James plenum. I guaranty that trying to cut out all the pieces using the James templates will be frustrating and time consuming and will not come out as nice as the Vans pieces. Don

That sounds good to me, now I just need to get an engine:D

I used the Van's kit even though Sam tried to convince me otherwise. I feel it was worth it.

Jason

Last edited:
I am just finishing up the baffles using the james plenum. I used the Vans kit and would recommend that route. There was a lot of unused parts but I would do it this way again.

Which parts are unused?

I am just finishing up the baffles using the james plenum. I used the Vans kit and would recommend that route. There was a lot of unused parts but I would do it this way again.

Which parts are unused? I may be able to get Van's to leave those off the kit.

I am pretty sure the baffle kit only has one part number, so you get the whole thing or not.

Hans

I'm using the Van's kit as well...WELL worth the money considering the TREMENDOUS time savings. You'll forget about this $300 in the end anyway...

;):cool:

BAFFLING

I HAVE INSTALLED 2 SETS OF VAN'S. THEY REQUIRED A LOT OF AJUSTMENT BUT WORTH THE PRICE. MAKE SURE THE OPENINGS ON THE BOTTOM OF THE CYL. AND BARRELS ARE THE CORRECT SIZE AND MORE IMPORTANT, EVEN.