CATPart

Well Known Member
I went for a flight to catalina island and did one lap around the island at 500 feet. Flew home, parked, thought nothing of it. The next day I do a prelight and notice a crust on the leading edges of my blades. It was pretty substantial, chunks the size of salt shaker salt. the color was off white to yellowish, but it was on a wooden blade and I thought the blade color was influencing it. It tasted like salt. Is this common? Most of my leading edges were also salty. I would not have expected this condition at 500 feet altitude. I was close to the mountain walls of the island, so maybe it was mist carried by the updraft? It did not seem misty out other than standard atmospheric conditions. I'm perplexed.

Back in the early 90s I took a couple day course on corrosion and if I remember correctly it was determined that the salt "spray" travelled 14 miles inland. This number was arrived at by California power companies and the inspection of their metal power line poles. I know that you can't actually feel or see this salt spray in the air, but I guess that it is there so 500 ft would be in this also.

This data is from my memory and 20 years ago, so this info and 5 bucks will get you a cup of coffee.:)

I went for a flight to catalina island and did one lap around the island at 500 feet. Flew home, parked, thought nothing of it. The next day I do a prelight and notice a crust on the leading edges of my blades. It was pretty substantial, chunks the size of salt shaker salt. the color was off white to yellowish, but it was on a wooden blade and I thought the blade color was influencing it. It tasted like salt. Is this common? Most of my leading edges were also salty. I would not have expected this condition at 500 feet altitude. I was close to the mountain walls of the island, so maybe it was mist carried by the updraft? It did not seem misty out other than standard atmospheric conditions. I'm perplexed.

I had the exact same sea salt coating two weeks ago. I live and fly at the beach here in NC. Hands covered in sea salt when wiping leading edges. I would think this could potentially affect the pitot also. Never noticed it before but when a I asked a local banner tower he said it's not uncommon . I imagine the prevailing winds may also contribute.

Wash your plane

Or at least rinse it off WELL. Yup, that's salt.

Used to do a bit of low level flying in a King Air. The plane got rinsed off thoroughly in a "bird bath" after each flight. One time the "bird bath" was inop for maintenance, I noticed and was surprised by just how much salt was on the props and leading edges. The Navy was very meticulous about corrosion control, as you can imagine...

Salt

Growing up on a La farm about 15 miles from the Gulf often saw faster rates of corrosion when the wind was blowing from the south. Later worked Maint on seaplanes and helicopters operating in and over the salt water. In that environment its just a fact of life that you wash and rinse after flying. The turbine engines also required fresh water rinse of compressor section. I would wash your plane with mild soap and rinse with lots of fresh water and if engine compartment has exposed aluminum (cyl heads) wash and rinse as well.

Don B

RV 9. Rebuild in Progress

Ahhh, the joys of living near the ocean. 😀
Happens us Floridians also. Good thing I primed the interior.

I guess I should make the effort for a good wash, even in the California drought. Probably should pull the cowl. I think I am parked enough inland to avoid any salt problems for the long term, and hangared. Most of my ocean flying is above 2k, usually 3.5-6.5k. This catalina adventure was not my typical thing.

1200-1400' flight up the Oregon/Washington coast, and when I landed back in Canada my polished prop needed a new polishing job on the leading edge... After I washed the salt crystals off. Never thought that was possible at that altitude.

I guess I should make the effort for a good wash, even in the California drought. Probably should pull the cowl. I think I am parked enough inland to avoid any salt problems for the long term, and hangared. Most of my ocean flying is above 2k, usually 3.5-6.5k. This catalina adventure was not my typical thing.

I noticed salt on my wing and prop leading edges during phase one and never even flew West of Ramona. Very noticeable on bare aluminum.